It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 am

Wetherspoons hotel - Womanby Street

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Cen

Re: Wetherspoons hotel - Womanby Street

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 11:05 am

I think if this reaches the planning committee meeting, a.k.a. the Councillor Michael Michael show, then Save Womanby Street has no chance. From the admittedly few meetings I've watched he seems very pro-development and can get quite aggressive about it - even to other committee members. I don't disagree with him on everything. I just don't like his tone.

There's a lot of people protesting this, so hopefully it doesn't get anywhere near the meeting, but I'll worry if it does.

Jantra

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 11:13 am

OK i will say it, womanby Street hadn't always been the musical mecca some are claiming. It's a relatively recent thing in cardiff since the city has lost a raft of other small live venues.

I remember the dog and duck on womanby Street and that was about all there was.

Cen

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 11:21 am

Jantra wrote:OK i will say it, womanby Street hadn't always been the musical mecca some are claiming. It's a relatively recent thing in cardiff since the city has lost a raft of other small live venues.

I remember the dog and duck on womanby Street and that was about all there was.

Womanby Street, at least from my experience, is a hotspot for the 20-30s millennials who don't really remember when it wasn't Cardiff's live music street. So I don't think people are protesting for historical reasons. It's more that they don't want it to become historical. They want it to remain vibrant and grow in popularity, which Fuel, Full Moon Club, Clwb Ifor Bach, and even The Gatekeeper to some extent, have been doing excellently for the past few years. The various festivals they put on there have also really upped its profile. But these kinds of developments have an uncomfortable history of bringing about unfair closure of such venues - The Point being a prime example.

Cen

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 11:54 am

The council should be very careful with these developments. Because let's face it - without these venues it would be a pretty drab place. And then who would really want to live there? We'll end up with closed bars and empty apartments. This could kill Womanby Street.

San Portablo

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 12:05 pm

Clwb Ifor Bach was opened in 1983... an Independent Club that has survived over 30 years - some achievement..
The City Arms opened in the 19th Century..
The Four Bars Inn use to spill out into Womanby Street when I went there in the 80's....
I think the street has a great tradition and it is as vibrant today as it ever has been...

I am pro development in most cases but the case of hotels and apartments in this particular street..
No No No
Don't Do it

Jantra

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 1:49 pm

I don't disagree that Cardiff needs to be mindful of over development and Womanby Street could be akin to Matthew Street in Liverpool, eventually. However the sudden outpouring of grief over the loss of a music scene that few had given a second thought to less than 12 months ago is reminiscent of the vulcan.

By all means strive to keep an identity (or even create one), but I just don't get this at all.

I like the development but I also appreciate what Womanby Street has become. I can't see why the two cannot co-exist.

BTW a few will remember the moon club in its original form. It has moved once and succeeded, just like the toucan, so it can do so again.

Amoore

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 2:44 pm

Jantra wrote:I would say the death of clubbing is more to do with the fact that bars can now open late night and serve alcohol without necessarily having to charge an entry fee. not everyone is a serious clubber into their music, check out WOW, it is full upstairs and empty downstairs, guess where the house music is...

Wow does charge to get in at weekends (upstairs and down), although last time I went down their basement there wasn't much going on. Don't even think they had a DJ and half the room was fenced up for storage.

Pulse was developing a problem about a year ago whereby their free ground floor room was far busier than their basement (which was more dance music and had an entry fee). This led to very obvious congestion problems in the upstairs bar that were bordering on dangerous. They completely refurbished the basement, improved the lights and sound system upstairs and introduced a single door charge to cover the whole venue after 11pm. There's far more equality between the floors now.

But it's true that more hardcore music is dying out, has been for years. Cardiff used to have loads of big dance nights at places like Liquid. Fashions change I guess. Also I think people find a bar atmosphere a bit more sociable than a dark club with loud music.

Peiriannydd

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 10:01 pm

Amoore wrote:But it's true that more hardcore music is dying out, has been for years. Cardiff used to have loads of big dance nights at places like Liquid. Fashions change I guess. Also I think people find a bar atmosphere a bit more sociable than a dark club with loud music.

Times do change. Some older folk look back at the old dance halls and big bands shows that are no longer to be seen. Trends and people move on. Personally, I've never liked the club scene which has House/Techno music blaster. Give me a blues bar or jazz club or even a metal dungeon over that other souless shite. A pub where I can actually have a conversation rather then develope tinnitus, even better.

I don't have a problem with this residential-type development as I think it's actually an improvement on the street-scape. BUT, and this is the BUT. Don't let those who build, buy or rent an apartment/building next to a 30-year-old music venue moan like an arsehole afterwards about the noise and try to have the older establishment shut down.

It's like these idiots who move next to a motorway or under an airport flightpath and then bitch about traffic! What did they expect?

DaiB

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 7:30 am

It's all very well saying 'don't let people moan', but unfortunately everyone has a right to complain about noise, and local authorities are legally obliged to follow up on complaints.

Now you'd hope to that on a street like this people would only move in if they could cope with the environment, but every increase in residential units will increase the chance of there being someone who will complain. The only really sure way is to prevent inappropriate development up front.

Does anyone familiar with planning law know on what grounds the council could refuse permission for the apartment development?

Jantra

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 8:25 am

Peiriannydd wrote:Don't let those who build, buy or rent an apartment/building next to a 30-year-old music venue moan like an arsehole afterwards about the noise and try to have the older establishment shut down.

This is it really. It happened with the point and that was criminal.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum