It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:53 am

Cardiff vs the world.

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Peiriannydd

Re: Cardiff vs the world.

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 8:48 pm

Oh FFS!!!! Haven’t I touched a nerve with some people! One could be forgiven for thinking this was a forum about Swansea where I dropped that bombshell!

My comment about Swansea being a shithole, is a reflection on how dimly I view the city’s architecture and streetscapes. Ultimately, this is a forum which primarily discusses building developments and that is the context in which I make statements.

My comments were not and should not be considered a slight on the people, their culture, their football team, their famous sons and daughters etc. etc. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to remove the chip on their shoulder.

The reality is, all of the really nice old bits of Swansea were wiped out by the Luftwaffe! People forget that Swansea had the greatest concentration of destruction in the whole of the UK. That’s right, worse than London and Liverpool. The town centre was then rebuilt with hideous post-war architecture and poor road layouts. Further economic decline has made matters worse.

That said, Swansea (like Newport) has HUGE potential! Ignoring the blight on the landscape that is Port Talbot, the surrounding countryside is stunning and could be used as fantastic backdrop to make a great second city for Wales.

I’m really exciting about some of the proposed developments there:
--The university waterfront developments.
--The tidal lagoons.
--The creative quarters.
--The proposed developments of the old Copperworks would be AMAZING if done correctly.

I’m actually quite glad for Swansea with this city deal and I’m also glad that Sir Terry Matthews is bringing some of his vision and ideas to the city, especially with bringing high-tech industries to the area. Clearly, he’s fed up with dealing with those idiots in Newport!

Cardiff and Wales needs a strong and vibrant Swansea. It needs a vision, a purpose and lots of investment. But at the moment, it is still a _________!

Lyndon

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 9:37 pm

Swansea has loads of perfectly decent 1950s architecture of exactly the same sort that you see in towns all over the country. Unfortunately a lot of it has been poorly maintained and looks dirty and ugly, but buildings around Castle St. and the Kingsway are now being renovated with upper floors converted to flats, so hopefully things will improve in the not-too-distant future.

Ben In London

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 1:06 pm

Peiriannydd wrote:I’m actually quite glad for Swansea with this city deal and I’m also glad that Sir Terry Matthews is bringing some of his vision and ideas to the city, especially with bringing high-tech industries to the area. Clearly, he’s fed up with dealing with those idiots in Newport!

I think it's more to do with his connections to Swansea University. They are the ones getting the bulk of the public money.
Previous

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum