It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:21 am

Cardiff vs the world.

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

AlwaysBeBlue

Re: Cardiff vs the world.

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 7:57 pm

The world don't stand a chance

Ben In London

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 5:20 pm

Swansea takes itself too seriously, Newport doesn't.

Jantra

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 6:00 pm

Ben In London wrote:Swansea takes itself too seriously, Newport doesn't.

If you've ever been to zooport you'd understand why

rconnz

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 10:48 pm

Newport has plenty of potential, there's a lot of nice Victorian architecture in the city centre, but in its current state it is awful and much worse than Swansea in my opinion.

Peiriannydd

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 10:55 pm

I agree, Newport does have some great Victorian buildings. Sadly Swansea doesn't, courtesy of the Luftwaffe.

Jantra

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 10:12 am

Peiriannydd wrote:I agree, Newport does have some great Victorian buildings. Sadly Swansea doesn't, courtesy of the Luftwaffe.

3 cheers for Herman Goering....

Thats a joke by the way...

Cen

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 10:19 am

A great case study on how one small coffee company and a few angry petitioners ruined the future of Swansea city centre:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local ... d-12752354

The irony? The coffee chain is nearly dead, and Swansea's city centre is still a mess, while the retail parks were allowed to expand and thrive. Nobody wins. It raises an interesting question. Does the "little man" have too much power these days?

URBANO

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 10:44 am

Cen wrote:A great case study on how one small coffee company and a few angry petitioners ruined the future of Swansea city centre:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local ... d-12752354

The irony? The coffee chain is nearly dead, and Swansea's city centre is still a mess, while the retail parks were allowed to expand and thrive. Nobody wins. It raises an interesting question. Does the "little man" have too much power these days?

It was one GREAT coffee shop actually It was the Kardomah where the Swansea greats congregated and spoke about life. Not the original Kardomah, sadly, which was destroyed in the war, but a post war version, which nevertheless kept some of the soul of the place. All I can say is thank goodness it (and any other part of the centre) was not replaced by that fifth rate tat (the architectural antithesis of life) which makes me want to throw up or cry; not sure which yet. Quite possibly both.

Cen

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 10:52 am

That may be the case, but it still blocked what would have been a huge step in the right direction for Swansea. And I wouldn't call it fifth rate tat when compared to the current state of the city centre...

My question actually related more to the general idea of a little coffee shop (regardless of its history) blocking a huge transformation that could have benefited hundreds of thousands of people. 25 years on, the coffee chain is dying, and the city centre still lacks life.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against protecting culture. I'm merely raising a discussion.

URBANO

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 11:07 am

Cardiff used to have that "well its better than what's there now" attitude; I hope Cardiff's now ( eventually) moving on from that architectural and spiritual cul de sac ( excuse the pun) .

But the stuff in Swansea now is ,in fact, MUCH better than that tat, which I'm happy to call fourth rate, rather than fifth. if that oils the works.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum