It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 am

Cardiff vs the world.

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Mr Blue Sky

Re: Cardiff vs the world.

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 4:02 pm

Ben In London wrote:I'm amazed that Swansea has generated so much conversation on here. Swansea's problem is (and has been for a long time) that nothing of interest is happening there. Even this city deal has relatively little in the way of private investment. The vast majority of tax money is going to the university. It's not even benefitting the wider area much.
And why does every defence of Swansea start and end with "But, but, but… the Gower!"?

The Gower...because it was the UK's first Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. And Rhosilli beach is considered to be amongst the world's most beautiful. The ancient landscapes, the standing stones, burial chambers, Worms Head, the charming villages. All within Swansea's boundaries. Swansea has a massive asset. It is difficult to get to though, but that is part of its charm.

San Portablo, I'm from Penarth originally and have recently moved back. The town was always divided between the haves and the have-nots, but there are far more of the former than the latter now. It isn't a friendly place, in my opinion. There is a lot of snobbery and prejudice. I'm not sure if Jantra fits in but his attitude certainly contains some of the sense of superiority that many native Penarthians (which he isn't) display.

Jantra

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 4:10 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Ben In London wrote:I'm amazed that Swansea has generated so much conversation on here. Swansea's problem is (and has been for a long time) that nothing of interest is happening there. Even this city deal has relatively little in the way of private investment. The vast majority of tax money is going to the university. It's not even benefitting the wider area much.
And why does every defence of Swansea start and end with "But, but, but… the Gower!"?

The Gower...because it was the UK's first Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. And Rhosilli beach is considered to be amongst the world's most beautiful. The ancient landscapes, the standing stones, burial chambers, Worms Head, the charming villages. All within Swansea's boundaries. Swansea has a massive asset. It is difficult to get to though, but that is part of its charm.

San Portablo, I'm from Penarth originally and have recently moved back. The town was always divided between the haves and the have-nots, but there are far more of the former than the latter now. It isn't a friendly place, in my opinion. There is a lot of snobbery and prejudice. I'm not sure if Jantra fits in but his attitude certainly contains some of the sense of superiority that many native Penarthians (which he isn't) display.

Oh do wind your neck in. I'm taking the piss out of the jacks for no other reason than they are jacks. Even an imbecile should be able to work that out

Mr Blue Sky

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 4:34 pm

Jantra wrote:
Mr Blue Sky wrote:

Oh do wind your neck in. I'm taking the piss out of the jacks for no other reason than they are jacks. Even an imbecile should be able to work that out

Not all Penarthians are snobs and unfriendly. I'm certainly not. You are not doing your, or Penarth's, image any favours here.

Jantra

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 4:44 pm

I'm not here to do anything or anyone any favours.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 4:50 pm

Sometimes I feel Jantra's people skills let him down! If he wasn't such a part of the cardiffwalesmap forum fabric, I'd tell him to sling his hook!! ;)
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

San Portablo

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 6:13 pm

I quite like Penarth - even the name Bear's Head reminds me of a hangover and tidy nights out.

Someone on the forum says about Cardiff's lack of literature based in the city...
Where would a writer based in Cardiff - South Wales - Submit a Short Story or a novel?
I have never heard of any writing comps in the area..
Its sad to day that we don't have a flourishing press or publishers...
Its a disadvantaged area for people who want to express themselves...
Musically I thought the grime Scene in Cardiff was interesting a few years ago
but there were no radio stations prepared to play what the artists were producing...

In terms of Street art.. the Fact that Oner Signs has been trading in the City Centre for 20 years shows that the Graffiti Street Art Scenes have substance if not hype..
Peaceful Progress and Cruel Vapours are both decent crews and what goes on in the boiler house is exciting
But its Colour Doomed aka Wasp Elder that stands out for me...
Some of his work around City Road is tip top

Jantra

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 6:22 pm

There was a detective type novel set in penarth and the socks IIRC. I can't remember it's name.. I do remember it was a decent read

Zach

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 6:23 pm

My town is better than your town and anyway we've got a big railway station and your bus station is painted brown which is not a very nice colour.

This thread has turned into one almighty yawn. :o

Ben In London

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 6:43 pm

San Portablo wrote:Ben if you think that Swansea has nothing of interest then you cannot know anything about the Cities Underbelly...
its got some nice galleries and museums, the two Universities are doing well there - it has a thriving student land, and its nightlife can be well - raucous...
It also has a substantial middle class...
And the west side of the city is surprisingly cosmopolitan....
There is plenty of life in West Glamorgan

I'm spoiled by London's galleries and museums obviously but what are the Swansea ones?
The universities are of no interest to me. My student days are behind me.
The nightlife from what I've seen looks like a low-rent version of St Mary's Street. And that's saying something.
Middle class? It doesn't even have a Waitrose let alone a John Lewis. Good luck being middle class without those!
Is 'surprisingly cosmopolitan' code for 'not as racist as the rest of the city'?

Ben In London

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 6:46 pm

San Portablo wrote:I quite like Penarth - even the name Bear's Head reminds me of a hangover and tidy nights out.

Someone on the forum says about Cardiff's lack of literature based in the city...
Where would a writer based in Cardiff - South Wales - Submit a Short Story or a novel?
I have never heard of any writing comps in the area..
Its sad to day that we don't have a flourishing press or publishers...

I think Cardiff University runs an annual competition.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum