It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:50 pm

Cardiff vs the world.

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Cardiff

Re: Cardiff vs the world.

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 6:32 pm

I think you do developments in the bay a disservice Karl, Mermaid quay connects very well with its surrounding, the only part that doesnt is the loading bay that faces a rather poor looking housing estate, which is a strong indicator of how this area was being developed before the more "showy" developments that actually give the area a sense of purpose and place. Take away the WMC and Senedd and you dont have much left in the bay other that Mermaid Quay. unfortunately the bay has suffered from the deterioration of the coal exchange and the stalled developments after the last crash, now this is being corrected we are seeing Mermaid Quay and the old bay knitting together to form a more coherent area, the main obstacle in the future is the housing estate that blocks the flow of the area. Its amazing to me how much the area has changed just with Cadogan houses completion, suddenly the bay now extends along James street, whereas it stopped at Cadogan house before.

Also Cen you will be please to note they have been pressure washing Roal Dahl Plass over the past week and it is looking fab!

Peiriannydd

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 1:44 am

Karl wrote:The problem with Cardiff Bay (in my opinion) is that there is too much wow and too much crap and not enough of the stuff in between that actually creates coherent streetscapes on an urban scale.

In my view the WMC, the Senedd and the Pier Head building are great buildings and iconic. However lined up next to each other their impact is reduced and their quality is diminished.

Mermaid Quay is also shouty but not in a good way. In trying to be different the developers have amputated the streetscape and cut off the older part of Butetown. I'm pretty sure this was done on purpose to have a captive audience for its dubious charms and if you measure it by the way the old Bay is dying on it's arse then its worked a treat. What should have happened is a strong connection to Bute St/W bute Street so that it was a continuation of the streetscape rather than a discrete destination in itself.

I'm still hopeful for the Bay. Roath Dock does not appear to be progressing anytime soon but the plans that have been released look a great deal more thoughtful than the construction goldrush stuff that was chucked up in the noughties. I also like the way the ISV is being developed - despite it being cut off by umnpteen dual carriageways and uge roundabouts. I never though I'd say that but the relatively modest resi makes the place seem a bit more human and less 'american mid west'.

Totally agree! So many missed opportunities with the Bay. It's not as if it would have taken huge amounts of money to have made it so much better either. That's the most frustrating thing. It's largely just down to poor planning and a lack of vision.

The landmark developements are so very poorly positioned they detract from one another rather than compliment, especially the WMC. Look how prominant the O2 arena is at Greenwich, or the Sydney Opera House, or the SEC "Armadillo" in Glasgow. The WMC should have been placed either on the corner of Harbour Drive and Britannia Quay (where Atradius is) or where Mermaid Quay is. It's location is just wrong!

The whole area between Stuart St and the A4119 is a total disaster! The A4119 is too busy and completely cuts off the new developments from old Bute Town. At the same time, all of the crap around behind Stuart St is boring and bland, offer little value and cuts off Bute Town from the water front.

Cardiff

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 10:52 am

I think you are looking at the area through rose tinted glasses and take no account to the incremental development of the area. The WMC could not have gone to the locations you say without having first demolished either Mermaid Quay or Atradius, which would have been pointless due to massive areas of undeveloped land that was present then. At its current location it forms an entrance to the bay and fronts the square here, which serves a purpose by holding many events from spring to summer (just last week it was the final destination of a race from Bute park). Butetown connects through Bute Street, which extends all the way through Mermaid Quay to the waterfront. I'm sure the area between James and Stuart streets was developed a long time before mermaid quay, and like i said above is the true carbuncle that prevents this area from knitting together, if they changed it to reflect the semi-grid pattern of the old bay, in a similar style to Harrowby street then this could go a way to improve the area greatly. I think once any developments of Pierhead street are complete then the Millennium center will not seem so awkwardly placed, and any future development of the red dragon center could greatly improve the streetscape.

Zach

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 1:54 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39320118

Bristol has won! Sorry Cardiff :cry:

Peiriannydd

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 2:48 pm

Zach wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39320118

Bristol has won! Sorry Cardiff :cry:

I don't think it'll stay on the top spot for long. Bristol is becoming really expensive. I'm not just talking about Clifton, even "up-and-coming" areas like Southville, a 3-bed terrace house starts around £350 to £400k.
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... 58586.html
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... 05611.html

Want a 1-bed flat? That'll cost you around £200k.
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... 51220.html
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... 59425.html

Don't fancy buying, just want to rent? For something that's not falling apart that'll cost you anything between £700 to £1,000pcm
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to- ... hare=false

As I stated in a previous post regarding high-rise developments, Cardiff needs to be really mindful on the supply of both office space AND residential. To attract and retain young professionals Cardiff needs to cash in on its affordability.

moyceyyy

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 3:46 pm

I agree with Peirianydd about the costs of living here. I'm paying £750 pcm for an extremely basic flat.

But it just goes to show whoever made the statement about it being a cultural dive is wrong. This place is literally flooding with it.

Cardiff is cool though. I like Cardiff.

Mr Blue Sky

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 3:51 pm

moyceyyy wrote:I agree with Peirianydd about the costs of living here. I'm paying £750 pcm for an extremely basic flat.

But it just goes to show whoever made the statement about it being a cultural dive is wrong. This place is literally flooding with it.

Where are you? Your location says Llanelli?

My grandson and his family have finally found a house to live in after 5 years in a cramped flat in Splott. A 3 bed ex-council house in Tremorfa for £750 a month. These sell for around £120,000 so the yield is very high for the landlord. Right-to-Buy has had serious effects on the UK rental market.

Briz-Tim

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 7:03 pm

Southville started becoming an expensive place when I left Bristol to live in Cardiff, and that was quite a few years ago. It's more a case of peripheral and rather basic areas which are now fast losing their affordability. A lot more Londoners, who have been priced out of the capital, have moved in which has raised the prices and increased demand even further.

It can all happen very quickly. A number of neighbourhoods in Bristol were practically a steal a little as ten years ago. This is something that Cardiff isn't immune to, especially as the city has an attractive looking housing stock but is still quite cheap for buying. Incomes in South Wales are typically lower than Southern England, so it would take a lower price increase for the city to become unaffordable for your average Cardiffian or South Walian than in England.

moyceyyy

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 1:12 am

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
moyceyyy wrote:I agree with Peirianydd about the costs of living here. I'm paying £750 pcm for an extremely basic flat.

Where are you? Your location says Llanelli?

My grandson and his family have finally found a house to live in after 5 years in a cramped flat in Splott. A 3 bed ex-council house in Tremorfa for £750 a month. These sell for around £120,000 so the yield is very high for the landlord. Right-to-Buy has had serious effects on the UK rental market.

lol good point! I would consider Llanelli my permanent home but I am currently renting in Bristol in my 5th year of uni :)

jonbvn

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 10:50 am

Briz-Tim wrote:Southville started becoming an expensive place when I left Bristol to live in Cardiff, and that was quite a few years ago. It's more a case of peripheral and rather basic areas which are now fast losing their affordability. A lot more Londoners, who have been priced out of the capital, have moved in which has raised the prices and increased demand even further.

It can all happen very quickly. A number of neighbourhoods in Bristol were practically a steal a little as ten years ago. This is something that Cardiff isn't immune to, especially as the city has an attractive looking housing stock but is still quite cheap for buying. Incomes in South Wales are typically lower than Southern England, so it would take a lower price increase for the city to become unaffordable for your average Cardiffian or South Walian than in England.

This is already happening. Anything north of the M4 in Cardiff area is generally much cheaper than the equivalent house south of the M4. With Cardiff's forecast population growth amongst the highest in the UK (25% over 20 years apparently), house prices are only going one way.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum