It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:56 am

Cardiff vs the world.

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

San Portablo

Re: Cardiff vs the world.

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 11:02 am

Rage, rage Against The Dying of the Light.....

Abertawe South West Wales - you label it a shithole?
Have you ever been to Singleton Park in Summer, or the uplands all year round, The Mumbles, SA1, Derwen Fawr,,, -
to compare southern down with The Gower is like comparing Cardiff with LDN or Berlin...

If ever there is a Cardiff Swansea derby- I like many others in San Portablo want the Bluebirds to win
but there is no denying Swansea's Football pedigree
John Charles, Ivor Allchurch, Cliff Jones, John Hartson, Chris Coleman, Lee John,,,,

In the arts - south west Wales had Augustus and Gwen John
On the stage - Burton, Hopkins Sheen,

in the Voice Katherine Jenkins, Paul Potts, Man,,,,

We have award winning Dance Acts in the south West
Did you ever have a night out on the kingsway?

In Rugby - Merv the Swerve, Geoff Wheel, Richard Hibbard, Shane Williams

You discount West Glamorgan at your own peril....

and there is Twin Town
Hot Dawgs for Tea Boys

Cardiff

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 11:08 am

The town center of Swansea is so bad that it overshadows the areas you mention above, also the Mumbles being so far the other end of Swansea makes it feel so disconnected and so difficult to get to. Swansea really needs to sort out the city center and connection to the sea front before any peoples perceptions will change unfortunately, as not every day is sunny and most people will go a little further west for beaches (the mumbles beach being quite poor, though the trees and greenery next to the sea is stunning).

San Portablo

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 11:32 am

The cafes , restaurants, Bars. Hotel and Joe's Ice Cream make the Mumbles feel quaint....
Why they ever stopped the Mumbles to Swansea Tram could be questioned...
Ok Swansea has councill estates but for every Townhill, BlaenyMaes in Swansea you have an Ely and Towbridge in Cardiff...
Perceptions some have a really positive perception of Abertawe - it could however like all towns and cities be vastly improved....and investment is the start of a bright future...
I would like to see more train stations throughout West Glamorgan - but this i guess is for another forum...

But remember this Cardiff
People in green house should not throw stones...

There are some shitholes and a**holes throughout SE Wales
Last edited by San Portablo on Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jantra

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 11:33 am

honestly, if I ever go to Swansea I feel like I've driven a Delorean. its the arse end of nowhere, the town that time forgot. generally its residents have parents that are brother and sister.

it would make the perfect setting to the Walking Dead

San Portablo

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 11:35 am

Well if we want to be puerile
I took a walk down Penarth recently
I thought I was on the set of Gummo...

Cen

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 11:40 am

Come on, lads. 'Nuff of this.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 11:42 am

San Portablo wrote:Rage, rage Against The Dying of the Light.....

Abertawe South West Wales - you label it a shithole?
Have you ever been to Singleton Park in Summer, or the uplands all year round, The Mumbles, SA1, Derwen Fawr,,, -
to compare southern down with The Gower is like comparing Cardiff with LDN or Berlin...

If ever there is a Cardiff Swansea derby- I like many others in San Portablo want the Bluebirds to win
but there is no denying Swansea's Football pedigree
John Charles, Ivor Allchurch, Cliff Jones, John Hartson, Chris Coleman, Lee John,,,,

In the arts - south west Wales had Augustus and Gwen John
On the stage - Burton, Hopkins Sheen,

in the Voice Katherine Jenkins, Paul Potts, Man,,,,

We have award winning Dance Acts in the south West
Did you ever have a night out on the kingsway?

In Rugby - Merv the Swerve, Geoff Wheel, Richard Hibbard, Shane Williams

You discount West Glamorgan at your own peril....

and there is Twin Town
Hot Dawgs for Tea Boys

Very valid points!

As a Cardiff City fan myself - back in the day the welcoming committee in Swansea wasn't exactly friendly!! :? we're talking back in the Vetch days now. I was even there on the fated New Years Day - WOW! (I had to swim home! - only joking) Anyway the point is that the City of Swansea has plenty to be proud of then and now - I really hope that the City (not the swans :lol: ) goes from strength to strength.

anyway thanks for your contribution and great to know that someone in San Portablo is a Bluebird!!
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Mr Blue Sky

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 12:16 pm

Jantra wrote:honestly, if I ever go to Swansea I feel like I've driven a Delorean. its the arse end of nowhere, the town that time forgot. generally its residents have parents that are brother and sister.

Do you really hate Swansea or is your venom merely an act?

If you do hate Swansea then could you please explain why?

I'm a CCFC season ticket holder and I hope Swansea get relegated but that is a football rivalry. I don't hate the place itself. Why would I?

Karl

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 12:42 pm

Moving on....

I quite like Swansea. There I've said it. I feel dirty but there it is. I like Wind St and I think the urban village in High Street is a great idea. Give it 10 years I'm sure it will improve greatly. I like the marina which has - in my view - stood the test of time. This was a regneration project from I think the late 70's/early 80's when the Bay was still a twinkle in Nick Edwards eye. I like the area around it (Morgans Hotel, the Dylan Thomas Theatre and the surrounding streets) which feels like you are in a completely different city. I like Mumbles and I love the Gower.

I also think SA1 has great potential. There is another 20 years of building there. The fact that it is a smaller area than the Bay probably helps as I think it's easier to build a coherent streetscape from scratch.

The city centre is incredibly disjointed - no argument there. The vast majority of the older buildings are poor quality and the post war stuff is mostly not good enough. I'm sure if the planners had their time again they would have thought twice about cutting the city off from its coastline with a dual carriageway and I'm not sure what can be done about that other than try to make the best of a bad job.

I also think Swansea has an identifiable character, which I'm not sure Cardiff has to any great extent (at least not any more). If someone asked you to give them a proper Cardiff experience you'd be hard pressed to think what to do other than the Clarkes pie/pint of Dark cliches. If you wanted to meet people from Cardiff and hear the accent you'd have to travel to the deepest, darkest suburbs. In Swansea it's just there. There is a sense of place.

Cardiff is obviously more cosmopolitan than Swansea but so are Manchester and Liverpool and when you go there you feel as though you connect with the city and the people. Cardiff is a bit more like the southern English cities where that intangible feeling of place is difficult to obtain. I suppose it comes down to what you want from a city but shiny new buildings and shopping centres are only a part of it.

Just my twopennorth. I also agree that Newport city centre is a more coherent and arcchitecturally attractive place than Swansea city centre.

Jantra

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 1:05 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Jantra wrote:honestly, if I ever go to Swansea I feel like I've driven a Delorean. its the arse end of nowhere, the town that time forgot. generally its residents have parents that are brother and sister.

Do you really hate Swansea or is your venom merely an act?

If you do hate Swansea then could you please explain why?

I'm a CCFC season ticket holder and I hope Swansea get relegated but that is a football rivalry. I don't hate the place itself. Why would I?

good grief, this is a Cardiff forum, not a Swansea love in. if you want to extol the virtues of the shitty little fishing village from out west then try www.pegsellers.co.uk or whatever it is called.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum