It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:19 pm

Cardiff vs the world.

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Cen

Re: Cardiff vs the world.

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 1:13 pm

Karl, I agree with everything you've said apart from Cardiff having no identifiable character. What do you mean by this exactly?

As a former student in Swansea, I was surrounded by English people (and people from further afield) who could not speak more highly of Cardiff's character. A friend of mine even said "It seems like most of Wales' culture is concentrated around Cardiff.", which I don't agree with, but it was an observation somebody made nonetheless.

The people are nice here (well, most), which is more than can be said for most places these days, including large parts of Swansea. I think Cardiff's culture has developed beyond those pie-eating days into something much more vibrant and welcoming, and I definitely feel like I'm in Cardiff when I come back (which isn't as much as I'd like). Many of the people I knew actually chose to stay here beyond their studies just because they like the place. Maybe it's more of a "young person" thing, but I don't particularly like the Cardiff-of-old culture, and much prefer what we have now.

Karl

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 1:38 pm

I think, unwittingly Cen, you've hit the nail ion the head.

I think what I'm saying is that Cardiff doesn't have a strong identity in the way cities such as Liverpool, Mcer or Newcastle have. The accent is very localised and is gradually disappearing. It's easier to go to Barry these days to hear what approximates to a Cardiff accent. What has taken its place - to my ears - is the Welsh equivalent of the generic estuary southern English. Recognisable but slightly placeless.

I think Cardiff might be a victim of its own success in that people want to stay here but by doing so they change the character of the place that attracted them in the first place. Plus ca change as they say. I think Cardiff is pretty much in a constant state of flux and is trying on new outfits all the time. I also think it's becoming more Welsh which ironically - in my opinion - is making it less distinctive.

Theres plenty of culture in Cardiff - Chapter, WMC, etc etc - but little culture from Cardiff. There is no Cardiff sound or any body of literature that examines the city or its place in the world. There is plenty of stuff appropriated from other parts of Wales and beyond but nothing distinctly from here.

This is just my view and perhaps I'm just being curmudgeonly because the background that I'm from seems like it is gradually disappearing. I think identity is a big part of what it is that makes a city great and my own personal view is that Cardiff is in a bit of an identity crisis at the moment.

Mr Blue Sky

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 2:09 pm

Jantra wrote:
Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Jantra wrote:honestly, if I ever go to Swansea I feel like I've driven a Delorean. its the arse end of nowhere, the town that time forgot. generally its residents have parents that are brother and sister.

it would make the perfect setting to the Walking Dead

Do you really hate Swansea or is your venom merely an act?

If you do hate Swansea then could you please explain why?

I'm a CCFC season ticket holder and I hope Swansea get relegated but that is a football rivalry. I don't hate the place itself. Why would I?

good grief, this is a Cardiff forum, not a Swansea love in. if you want to extol the virtues of the shitty little fishing village from out west then try http://www.pegsellers.co.uk or whatever it is called.

Do you realise that your attitude is very bigoted? Presumably you have clients in Swansea, do you accuse them of sleeping with family members?

Jantra

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 2:15 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:Do you realise that your attitude is very bigoted? Presumably you have clients in Swansea, do you accuse them of sleeping with family members?

In what way is pointing out that the typical resident of Abertawe is a bin dipping skip rat bigoted?

Mr Blue Sky

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 2:42 pm

Jantra wrote:
Mr Blue Sky wrote:Do you realise that your attitude is very bigoted? Presumably you have clients in Swansea, do you accuse them of sleeping with family members?

In what way is pointing out that the typical resident of Abertawe is a bin dipping skip rat bigoted?

You're not only bigoted, you're wrong.

There's a great deal of prejudice within Cardiff itself towards Ely and its inhabitants. That prejudice is also bigoted and wrong, and I bet that you, as someone who used to live in Ely, are very opposed to such prejudice.

I lived in Swansea for a couple of years as a child and I have good memories. The very idea that everyone in a certain locale is a thief, or inbred, or stupid is the basis of racism - it (wrongly) justifies their mistreatment as the "other". I'm sure that you wouldn't class yourself as a racist but your bigotry (or trolling) regarding Swansea reflects very badly on you.

Swansea does have its beach and the Gower, something that Cardiff will never have the equivalent of. They're looking at £6 billion investment to the city centre, a sum that could transform the place. Liverpool and Manchester have a similar rivalry to Cardiff/Swansea with a lot of hatred and prejudice on both sides. One big difference is that both cities are booming, (admittedly Manchester is booming to a greater extent) and the economic and cultural success of each city is spurring the other city onwards. A booming Swansea would be good for a booming Cardiff, in my opinion.

Jantra

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 3:18 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Jantra wrote:

You're not only bigoted, you're wrong.

you're right, they are not bin dipping skip rats, they are bin dipping sister shagging skip rats. my mistake

don't take yourself or this forum too seriously. its only a bit of whimsy.

NB people can think what they like about Ely or its residents, this isn't 1984 and they are free to hold whatever views they wish.

San Portablo

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 3:34 pm

When i say that I visited Penarth lately and that the people looked like they were on the set of Gummo...
Its likely that I had walked by Jantra and his gang
Oik

Jantra

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 3:38 pm

San Portablo wrote:When i say that I visited Penarth lately and that the people looked like they were on the set of Gummo...
Its likely that I had walked by Jantra and his gang
Oik

as a famous author would write, hmmmmmm

your shop is in Aberafan, but you're not a peg seller.....the jury is out on this one....

Ben In London

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 3:42 pm

I'm amazed that Swansea has generated so much conversation on here. Swansea's problem is (and has been for a long time) that nothing of interest is happening there. Even this city deal has relatively little in the way of private investment. The vast majority of tax money is going to the university. It's not even benefitting the wider area much.
And why does every defence of Swansea start and end with "But, but, but… the Gower!"?

San Portablo

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 3:58 pm

Ben if you think that Swansea has nothing of interest then you cannot know anything about the Cities Underbelly...
its got some nice galleries and museums, the two Universities are doing well there - it has a thriving student land, and its nightlife can be well - raucous...
It also has a substantial middle class...
And the west side of the city is surprisingly cosmopolitan....
There is plenty of life in West Glamorgan
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum