It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:43 pm

Dirty and poorly maintained modern buildings/structures

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Peiriannydd

Dirty and poorly maintained modern buildings/structures

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 2:05 pm

I know some may argue that a national news site should have better things to write about, but I couldn’t agree more with the sentiment of those who contributed:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... t-12759765

I sick to death of seeing buildings barely 10 years old covered in mud, dust, dirt and slim. Especially when the developers claimed that their development was key to regeneration.

The bridge in Newport is a particular good example, as it’s so prominent. It’s become an awful site as you come into Newport on the train.

Similarly, the new railway station (which I actually worked on) has slim and dirt all over its roof. In comparison to the old buildings, it now looks dated and utter shite. What was the point of spending all of that money?

There are plenty of examples around Cardiff too, especially where render has been used. Look at Altolusso, nice building form (apart from the hideous façade retention) that’s been ruined by poorly maintained render cladding. Is anyone going to clean it?

In fairness to the WRU, at least they maintain the stadium, but how many others bother?

Something needs to be done.

Cen

Re: Dirty and poorly maintained modern buildings/structures

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 2:34 pm

The pillars at Roald Dahl Plas were the same until they got the power washers on it a few days ago. Render just seems to attract dirt and grime.

The old buildings in The Hayes and St Mary Street show what a difference a good clean makes.

Peiriannydd

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 2:54 pm

Yeah they look fantastic now. Although, I've always said that dirt and grim on stone and brick can add character. At least, it doesn't detract to the same extra that grime does on rainscreen cladding.

The whole point about new developments, particularly redevelopments is that they are new. Developers are trying to bring a new, clean and vibrant look to an area. That doesn't last if buildings are not maintained.

Zach

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 5:54 pm

Not quiet on the topic, but the area outside the new library in Cardiff has turned into some form dingy lit east European square from the 1960's
Most of the narrow beam flood lights on top of the St Davids 2 flats that lit it have failed. Half of the lights in Mill Lane are also out.
Nobody seems to either care or maybe have even noticed.

You can just see them in this photo, bank of about 8 powerful spots.

Cardiff

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 9:35 pm

To be fair Perianydd Altolousso was cleaned recently, it really isnt that dirty, also Water Quater, Victoria Wharf, Century Wharf and the one opposite the white water rafting center have been repainted.

DaiB

PostSun Mar 26, 2017 9:18 am

The Victorian bit of Altolusso may have been cleaned, but the tower hasn't. It's filthy. Render should be a banned cladding material for major projects in Cardiff, it can't cope with the climate. At least rainscreen cladding is straightforward to wash down.

Cardiff

PostSun Mar 26, 2017 10:02 am

The render has been cleaned, there were significant dirty stains down the building (especially at the top facing the bay), these have now one. Agreed its not the pristine white it was when completed, but i cant say ive noticed any dirty marks on it for some time. I am passing it later so will take a pic.

jones4891

PostSun Mar 26, 2017 10:27 am

The Mercure Hotel, apartment block above coffee number 1 (by the Capitol centre) and the flats on the old pub site opposite the prison are 3 other examples that wind me up. All relatively new buildings and all covered in dirt.

Cardiff

PostSun Mar 26, 2017 6:55 pm

As promised, not pristine but not as bad as it was

Image20170326_172523 by Stephen Anstiss, on Flickr

Image20170326_162749 by Stephen Anstiss, on Flickr

Peiriannydd

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 8:17 pm

Could do with a paint job! As could a few other buildings.

At least we're making sure there are adequate provisions to clean the facade on the Bridge St tower.
Next

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum