It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 am

National Gallery of Modern Welsh Art

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Cen

Re: National Gallery of Modern Welsh Art

PostSun Apr 09, 2017 8:44 am

I really think Aberystwyth would be a pointless decision. The article even says it's miles from anywhere in Wales but tries to justify it by saying it's near the West Midlands. I thought the point of a national institution was to service the people of that nation. Not cater for the neighbouring nation. And let's be honest, who in Birmingham is really going to want to go to Aberystwyth to look at some art? There are literally hundreds of better options for them.

penarth bloke

PostSun Apr 09, 2017 8:59 am

As locations, how about Llanelli or Carmarthen or Neath?

Peiriannydd

PostSun Apr 09, 2017 4:25 pm

Cen wrote:I really think Aberystwyth would be a pointless decision. The article even says it's miles from anywhere in Wales but tries to justify it by saying it's near the West Midlands. I thought the point of a national institution was to service the people of that nation. Not cater for the neighbouring nation. And let's be honest, who in Birmingham is really going to want to go to Aberystwyth to look at some art? There are literally hundreds of better options for them.

Totally agree. This is about setting up something for our nation, not England's. If people from England decide to visit then great, but it should be there to cater for the people of Wales. That's the problem with our National Library, it's too isolated from the majority of the Welsh population. When the majority of the population (based in South Wales) have to use either B-roads or a train via Shrewsbury to get there, you know it's in the wrong place. Nothing against Aberystwyth or its people, it's just too isolated for a national institution.

Newport could be a good option. There are a lot of interesting buildings that could be used and something could be built on the river that could work well.
Previous

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum