It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:56 pm

Council Election (May 2017)

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Simon__200

Re: Council Election (May 2017)

PostMon Apr 17, 2017 7:08 pm

Jantra wrote:Racists are entitled to hold their views, no matter how repugnant they are. We cannot pick and choose when we allow liberalism, either we have it or we dont.

You come across as a typical left winger - all views are welcome as long as they agree with your own. Try north korea, you may like it there

Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion, it's just unfortunate when that opinion is wrong, and it's OK to call people out on it. Not all opinions are valid, or worthy of respect. This sort of defines the Brexit issue when people have resorted to ridiculous statements like "I've had enough of experts". This sort of riculous anti-intellectualism is taken the piss of out with Trump supporters, people who practise homeopathy and climate change deniers, but Brexiters cannot see it when it falls in them.

Simon__200

PostMon Apr 17, 2017 7:12 pm

Zach wrote:
Yeah, thanks but you're another one in the same category of ineptness, so forgive me if I disregard whatever point you're trying to make.

Yes forgive me too, but you really are a massively conceited and self centred individual.
I looked back through some of your previous posts and you fly off the handle at any opinion that is outside your own narrow viewpoint of the world. I'm guessing you don't mix much or live in some isolated commune.

PS What do you do for a living, or what I'm really interested in, do you actually work with anyone?

I think you might have me mixed up with someone else, but let me say that if I am on the wrong side of one of the most conceited, offensive, abuisve posters here, I must be doing something right.

Oh, and for a living I'm a software developer, and work in a team of people. All lovely. Some of them foreigners, or who are married to foreigners, and in a state of uncertainty right now thanks to the current wave of xenophobia.

Jantra

PostMon Apr 17, 2017 7:49 pm

Simon__200 wrote:
Jantra wrote:Racists are entitled to hold their views, no matter how repugnant they are. We cannot pick and choose when we allow liberalism, either we have it or we dont.

You come across as a typical left winger - all views are welcome as long as they agree with your own. Try north korea, you may like it there

Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion, it's just unfortunate when that opinion is wrong, and it's OK to call people out on it. Not all opinions are valid, or worthy of respect. This sort of defines the Brexit issue when people have resorted to ridiculous statements like "I've had enough of experts". This sort of riculous anti-intellectualism is taken the piss of out with Trump supporters, people who practise homeopathy and climate change deniers, but Brexiters cannot see it when it falls in them.

you appear to confuse facts with opinion.

fact: the EU is made up of 28 member states
opinion: the EU is bad for the UK

lets start with baby steps....given it is subjective, how can an opinion be wrong?

Cen

PostMon Apr 17, 2017 8:38 pm

Glenn wrote:I'm sorry! I promise I did (perhaps naively) make the thread with good intentions. Was (and am) genuinely interested in who people will support to represent their area. Did get some civilised replies which I'm thankful for, but a shame others clearly wanted to rise to the bait and stir up trouble and turn it into a left v right debate and sling personal attacks on topics miles away from a local council election. Not many Cardiff forums out there so I thought maybe this would be a great place to actually get some useful local insight, just a shame that a few just wanted to hijack it to push their own agenda and in the process just repel others from wanting to voice their own opinions. Such a shame that people just cannot control themselves and have a productive, respectful discussion anymore without descending into a shouting match.

And yes, this otherwise a fantastic forum! Just a shame a small but loud minority have to embarrass themselves and the forum as a whole. If you want to lock the thread now I completely understand, pretty sure anyone wanting to voice their opinion has been turned off by now and I wouldn't want to be responsible for anyone thinking poorly of this forum.

I apologise if you or anyone else thinks I've embarrassed myself. I was sticking up for a valued member of the forum. I wasn't intending to make it a right v left debate as I am neither. Hence the lack of comment on the topic.

I've made my feelings known about the vitriol before, so I suppose I'd just had enough of people thinking they are better than everyone else and resorting to personal attacks. If sticking up for a forum member counts as embarrassing myself then I can only apologise. I'd like to think my contribution to the forum is worth more than this one event.

Peiriannydd

PostMon Apr 17, 2017 9:17 pm

Cen wrote:
Glenn wrote:I'm sorry! I promise I did (perhaps naively) make the thread with good intentions. Was (and am) genuinely interested in who people will support to represent their area. Did get some civilised replies which I'm thankful for, but a shame others clearly wanted to rise to the bait and stir up trouble and turn it into a left v right debate and sling personal attacks on topics miles away from a local council election. Not many Cardiff forums out there so I thought maybe this would be a great place to actually get some useful local insight, just a shame that a few just wanted to hijack it to push their own agenda and in the process just repel others from wanting to voice their own opinions. Such a shame that people just cannot control themselves and have a productive, respectful discussion anymore without descending into a shouting match.

And yes, this otherwise a fantastic forum! Just a shame a small but loud minority have to embarrass themselves and the forum as a whole. If you want to lock the thread now I completely understand, pretty sure anyone wanting to voice their opinion has been turned off by now and I wouldn't want to be responsible for anyone thinking poorly of this forum.

I apologise if you or anyone else thinks I've embarrassed myself. I was sticking up for a valued member of the forum. I wasn't intending to make it a right v left debate as I am neither. Hence the lack of comment on the topic.

I've made my feelings known about the vitriol before, so I suppose I'd just had enough of people thinking they are better than everyone else and resorting to personal attacks. If sticking up for a forum member counts as embarrassing myself then I can only apologise. I'd like to think my contribution to the forum is worth more than this one event.

I appreciate your thought Cen, honestly! I didn't respond myself as I didn't want to dignify such comments with a response.

In the past I may have used colourful language to describe neighbouring cities (which some people may have found offensive), but I don't believe that I've intentionally insulted any individual, nor have I launched into a vitriolic attack against any individual on this forum. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and it's great to debate issues. But I was brought up to believe that once you resort to insults you've lost your argument and your credibility.

With that in mind, I for one won't be responding to any further nonsense either. Quite frankly, I've got better things to do with my time!

Zach

PostMon Apr 17, 2017 10:24 pm

Jantra

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 7:34 am

I shouldn't but :lol:

Mr Blue Sky

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 11:47 am

If there is a general election in June it will overshadow the council elections. The LibDems could benefit in May as Remainers gravitate towards the only UK-wide party with an unambiguous pro-EU position.

Jantra

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 11:59 am

Mr Blue Sky wrote:If there is a general election in June it will overshadow the council elections. The LibDems could benefit in May as Remainers gravitate towards the only UK-wide party with an unambiguous pro-EU position.

quite. I don't think UKIP will do well, Labour and the SNP will lose seats and I'm not sure how the party that manages to implode itself over europe will also fare.

moyceyyy

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 2:09 pm

Zach wrote:Image

LOL
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum