It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:18 pm

Military Medicine Museum

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Cardiff

Re: Military Medicine Museum

PostFri Jun 05, 2020 9:33 am

I think the museum would only take up part of the building (top floors) and the rest was to be used as rotating exhibition space and "community" spaces. I dont think it would survive on its own, it needs to be Medical Military History museum and......something if not multiple things. Just like the Millennium center would not have survived if it was an Opera House, this needs to diversify too, just at a slightly different location. Its like they are almost there, there was no real objection for the Travelodge site, just find another (cough cough Doctor Who site Cough Cough).

DavidH71

PostFri Jun 05, 2020 12:40 pm

A 33 page objection? Somebody needs to brush up on their effective writing skills. (When I was a civil servant the final report for a Multi-million £ project was capped at ten pages - anything longer than that just would not get read). There must presumably be some good reasons why the Doctor Who site is not being considered for this building - are the current owners unwilling to consider it, or have other plans for the site?

Brian62

PostFri Jun 05, 2020 12:56 pm

Huw Thomas has posted a thread on twitter about the museum. The council always intended to sell that bit of land, they only bought it to stop the tower block. The museum was rejected from Lloyd George/ Hemingway as it would get in the way of the arena. It is not going to receive any council funding either. Even if this gets rejected something is going to get built there by the sound of it.

Looking at the consultation web site it's a decent looking building, don't think it should go there though.

Cardiff

PostFri Jun 05, 2020 4:09 pm

What I read was that the council would need to retrieve the cost of purchasing the land by selling the land or selling other owned land. I'm pretty sure the council own all the land in Porth teigr as well as a substantial piece at the Sports Village, and Callaghan square, so no need to develop this piece of land if it can be avoid IMO.

Brian62

PostSat Jun 06, 2020 11:05 am

Cardiff wrote:What I read was that the council would need to retrieve the cost of purchasing the land by selling the land or selling other owned land. I'm pretty sure the council own all the land in Porth teigr as well as a substantial piece at the Sports Village, and Callaghan square, so no need to develop this piece of land if it can be avoid IMO.

Quote from the council report on purchasing Britannia park
"The cost of acquiring the Britannia Park site will need to be recovered through the appropriate development of the Britannia Park site and the wider bay edge"
They were talking about building a cafe but with coffi and the waterguard within spitting distance that doesn't look likely. Huw Thomas confirmed the plan is still to sell the land for leisure use rather than housing.
I would prefer it was kept open but they are committed to developing it.
Porth Teigr belongs to the Welsh Government I think as it was reported last year they had appointed a company (Knight Frank
?) to market it.

Ash

PostSat Jun 06, 2020 11:14 am

While I understand the natural concern about losing any green space, it's worth remembering that the bulk of the site where the Museum will be located was for many years occupied by the Tube visitor centre. The planned museum is more obtrusive, sure, but it's not the first building to occupy that site.

Cardiff

PostSat Jun 06, 2020 12:34 pm

"The cost of acquiring the Britannia Park site will need to be recovered through the appropriate development of the Britannia Park site and the wider bay edge"

Exactly my point, develop the bay edge before developing this piece of land. The tube was barely a 1 storey building that occupied only the loose chippings area, the museum will be 5 stories high (similar to Atradius and Glow Works) and occupy the full length from dock to road, a much larger and significant building. I wouldnt decry the loss of this area so much if there were plans to include parkland in Porth Teigr, but there are none.

I was in Nancy the other year and they had a nice development along their canal that could work in Porth Teigr:

https://goo.gl/maps/FSNQeW2XKs2nr3Bd9

Thewasp

PostSat Jun 06, 2020 5:52 pm

Wouldn't a museum celebrating Terra Nova and Scott expedition be more suiting? Not much celebrated about it in my view...

Brian62

PostSun Jun 07, 2020 1:05 pm

What is the wider bay edge, how much is undeveloped and how much belongs to the council?

They've already announced plans for the bit near Morrisons. They aren't going to build on the wetlands, then it's the old dry docks which are listed and I'm not sure what you can do there anyway. Big Windsor is slowly being converted. The next gap is around altradus, I don't know who that belongs to. Then it's Britannia Park and Dr who. Porth Tiegr belongs to the Welsh government, I checked when I walked past this morning. I guess they're not going to build on the barrage and after that we're not in Cardiff.
If we go a bit inland plans for James Street have been announced. The open land on pierhead street belongs to parmer.

Unless I've missed something the only council owned land that now has not got something planned is Dr who and possibly that bit of land mentioned above.

As I've said I really don't want to see something built on Britannia Park, I like the view from the other end of Roath Basin by the funny little structure (does anyone know what that thing is?). The council are determined to build something there and I can't see a change in the current administration.

Brian62

PostSun Jun 07, 2020 1:14 pm

Thewasp wrote:Wouldn't a museum celebrating Terra Nova and Scott expedition be more suiting? Not much celebrated about it in my view...

Yes it would make more sense, or be part of a museum about the bay. As it is theres the statue that's falling apart and the small display on the barrage.

A museum in New Zealand has a good section about the Scott expedition, in Wellingtons nautical museum. Or it might be Christchurch. Ten years ago so I can't be certain.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum