It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:09 am

Military Medicine Museum

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

NorthCityBoy

Re: Military Medicine Museum

PostMon Sep 10, 2018 9:05 pm

Mikey87 wrote:Why a military medicine museum in Cardiff? Seems a bit odd. Am I missing something? A maritime museum would have been better, but I understand that moved to Swansea.

My thoughts exactly. It does seem odd to have it here, and what’s more it’s going to seem rather incongruous next to a Travelodge and potentially an indoor concert arena. Somewhere in or near the Castle would seem the obvious choice.

HalRobsonKanu

PostThu May 02, 2019 2:20 pm

Does anyone have any idea whether this project is still going ahead? I’m not particularly excited by the prospect of a Museum of Military Medicine but any additional tourist attractions in the Bay area are welcome and I rather like the proposed building.

By chance I came across a link to this page on Linkedin today:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/museum-m ... esh-pawar/

The page seems to be a showcase for the architect that designed the project. Interestingly though, as well as some of the images that we have already seen, there is also one at the top of the page showing the building in a completely different location, at Britannia park. I wonder if the apparent delay and lack of news on this project is down to the site being moved (probably as a result of the arena proposals) and whether the museum is now going to be part of the Britannia Park development that was announced last year, following the demise of the proposed Dolphin Quay development.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wale ... n-15394395

This certainly marks s significant improvement on Dolphin Quay both in its design and in terms of the broader benefits of developing additional leisure activities in the inner harbour.

Lewisbeecham

PostThu May 02, 2019 3:30 pm

Great find.

Not particularly interested either - but I remember being excited by this simply because of the fantastic architecture. I do feel it would be a much greater fit down by Britannia Park. Although I doubt it'll be as popular as the Doctor Who exhibition it'll help fill that void and increase footfall near that area of the bay. Selfishly though I do enjoy this area as it is, over Easter the park was a great place to sit and relax.

HalRobsonKanu

PostFri May 03, 2019 8:47 am

Interesting that the image in question has been moved from that linked in page. But I've found another one of the museum in its apparent new location here:

https://studionesh.co.uk/museum-of-military-medicine

Simon_SW17

PostFri May 03, 2019 11:56 am

HalRobsonKanu wrote:Interesting that the image in question has been moved from that linked in page. But I've found another one of the museum in its apparent new location here:

https://studionesh.co.uk/museum-of-military-medicine

Along with several restaurant units that were proposed with Dolphin Quay, looks like a good use of space. Loses the parking spaces along there. No idea if it's an actual proposal though.

Simon__200

PostFri May 03, 2019 12:53 pm

Loses the only bit of open grass space too though! :(

Lewisbeecham

PostFri May 03, 2019 2:27 pm

Simon__200 wrote:Loses the only bit of open grass space too though! :(

Yes. That 'square' could easily include a nice garden, some nice landscaping, perhaps a water feature?

Carlos

PostFri May 03, 2019 10:05 pm

Or just grass and trees like what is there now.

Nice looking building though - fill up the chippings area

Simon__200

PostSat May 04, 2019 9:50 am

It's the only section of grass that people can sit on and have a picnic in the summer. It's not like there isn't a huge area of undeveloped land just around the corner currently just wasteland.

Ash

PostSun May 05, 2019 5:06 pm

The problem is that although Brittania Park is laid out as a public park, it's privately owned, a bit like that grassy area that existed for a few years where the Admiral building is now. You can't blame the owners for wanting to extract value from it.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum