It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:07 am

Military Medicine Museum

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Msmurf

Re: Military Medicine Museum

PostSun Jun 07, 2020 3:32 pm

Brian62 wrote:
Thewasp wrote:Wouldn't a museum celebrating Terra Nova and Scott expedition be more suiting? Not much celebrated about it in my view...

Yes it would make more sense, or be part of a museum about the bay. As it is theres the statue that's falling apart and the small display on the barrage.

A museum in New Zealand has a good section about the Scott expedition, in Wellingtons nautical museum. Or it might be Christchurch. Ten years ago so I can't be certain.

This is an excellent idea - and would encourage tourists to visit Roath Park - and vice versa
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

Cardiffbay

PostSun Jun 07, 2020 3:36 pm

Had a social distance meet with a friend today in the park and It made me think what a nice little area it is right in the middle of all the concert. It would be nice to protect it and even extend it on to the chipping area. There are loads of brown field areas where doctor who was or on the land in front of bbc.
Attachments
E15DA3FA-1A8A-43E9-A7D4-77700A928932.jpeg
E15DA3FA-1A8A-43E9-A7D4-77700A928932.jpeg (148.54 KiB) Viewed 15650 times

Simon__200

PostTue Jun 09, 2020 9:32 am

Isn't the former Doctor Who Experience land owned by The Welsh Government? As I remember, it was leased to the council who then subleased it rent free to BBC Worldwide for a cut of their takings.

lucky

PostTue Jun 09, 2020 9:59 am

It is, but then they'd have to own up to how ugly the design is as the sheds part would be clearly visible to all side-on instead of the nice shiny modern glass frontage - I think the sheds will be partially hidden from Mermaid Quay by trees in the current proposed setting.

Cardiff

PostTue Jun 09, 2020 10:24 am

Sheds part? I thought this was part of the design to reflect the area, i like it and fits in with Glow Works and the docks, which lets face it, are not going to be cleaned up.

Thewasp

PostWed Jun 10, 2020 8:38 am

I also believe a Roald Dahl interactive museum would be brilliant and attract thousands of visitors and school trips.
You could have different themes on different rooms focusing on different books. BFG room could be where everything is massive and you have giants wandering around, Charlie and the chocolate factory room and George's marvellous medicine rooms speak for themselves. It would be a great addition to the city which I dont think really promotes Dahl much apart from the Plaza and the odd crocodile...

Cardiff

PostWed Jun 10, 2020 10:52 am

I dont understand peoples link between a museum coming to Cardiff and thoughts it should be something else? Well they arnt proposing a Butetown/Tiger bay museum, they arnt proposing a Roald Dahl museum (sorry Thewasp, just using this as an example), its an already existent museum that wants to come to Cardiff, if there was a call for a Butetown museum it wouldnt have closed, if there was a call for a stand alone Doctor Who experiance in Cardiff it would have stayed, but unfortunately they just didnt get the visotor numbers/provide enough for it to remain open/open a stand alone museum.

Its not like the Ivy is coming to Cardiff and people say it should be a Cotte Brasserie!

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostWed Jun 10, 2020 11:20 am

Cardiff wrote:I dont understand peoples link between a museum coming to Cardiff and thoughts it should be something else? Well they arnt proposing a Butetown/Tiger bay museum, they arnt proposing a Roald Dahl museum (sorry Thewasp, just using this as an example), its an already existent museum that wants to come to Cardiff, if there was a call for a Butetown museum it wouldnt have closed, if there was a call for a stand alone Doctor Who experiance in Cardiff it would have stayed, but unfortunately they just didnt get the visotor numbers/provide enough for it to remain open/open a stand alone museum.

Its not like the Ivy is coming to Cardiff and people say it should be a Cotte Brasserie!

I was wondering if they could make Ivy a bit more like cote brasserie! :lol:

I think you make a great point Cardiff
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

lucky

PostWed Jun 10, 2020 11:27 am

I might agree, were it not for the fact that visitor numbers to the proposed museum are likely to be substantially lower than the Who exhibition - and who are they going to be asking for subsidies to stop the building being an eyesore in a few years time? Cardiff Council... this proposal is not as cost-neutral as it claims to be.

Thewasp

PostWed Jun 10, 2020 12:18 pm

I agree with you. I just think another museum celebrating someone more local would be very welcomed too :-)
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum