It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 am

What's that boy? Activity at the Ely Mill?

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

moyceyyy

Re: What's that boy? Activity at the Ely Mill?

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 4:33 pm

Jantra wrote:
moyceyyy wrote:
Peiriannydd wrote:I was referring more to the physical infrastructure as shown in the link that Zach posted. Why not just tarmac the whole area but have it for buses? Has to be easier to build and therefore a lot cheaper.

I don't know, they always seem to become really expensive and I question their value.

This is actually a good question. To let buses go faster perhaps?

I can't see how the bus can go faster when the driver has to avoid dwarf walls six inches either side of him.

The driver doesnt touch the steering wheel when the bus is using a guided bus lane. He doesnt have to avoid anything, the bus uses horizontal kerb guides that keep the bus on track.

(I've been on the Cambridgeshire busway)

Zach

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 4:49 pm

I can't see how the bus can go faster when the driver has to avoid dwarf walls six inches either side of him.

I thought this but I'm sure there is an adaptive steering system involved, from the video of the Luton Buses, I can't see how they could go that fast without it.
Cost, in a huge advantage, buses cost a fraction of a tram/train and you can lay a bus way again at a fraction of the cost of a proper train/tram line as there is much more leeway involved.
I don't think they would be much use in built up areas, they tend to get used to connect areas which have flat green fields in between, so again maybe not the valleys!!!

Simon_SW17

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 7:08 pm

The Cambridge busway ended up costing more than a railway IIRC!

moyceyyy

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 7:43 pm

Simon_SW17 wrote:The Cambridge busway ended up costing more than a railway IIRC!

Good lord. :lol: :lol:

Peiriannydd

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 10:49 pm

Simon_SW17 wrote:The Cambridge busway ended up costing more than a railway IIRC!

Yeah, I was living in Cambridge when they were trying to build it. Total disaster and I believe there are still ongoing disputes between the council and the contractor.

That said, the Edinburgh tram was a bit of a fiasco too.

Seriously, how hard is it?

murfilicious

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 8:58 am

Anyway, away from guided busways - here is a picture of the first homes at Ely Mill.

Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...

murfilicious

PostTue Jul 11, 2017 9:26 am

3 months later, the first lot of houses are nearing completion at the Sanatorium Road end of Ely Mill - not sure I'd want one of these houses though, unless I worked in the Dairy Crest Depot directly opposite.

Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...

RandomComment

PostTue Jul 11, 2017 11:00 am

They're very generic aren't they? I thought the original plans for the development showed something a little more interesting in terms of design style, albeit still simple (e.g. steeper rooves, some differentiation in facade materials).

Zach

PostTue Jul 11, 2017 5:08 pm

I would be delighted that they are generic.
Stucco painted finish or cladding looks great for the first few years but turns into slum-vile.
You can't beat decent brick work, low maintenance and weathers in very nicely.

Simon_SW17

PostTue Jul 11, 2017 5:16 pm

I think that some better quality design features would be the minimum, I'm not referring to cladding but some nice stonework or bay windows for instance. These look cheap as chips, maybe these are social housing as developers try and spend as little as possible on these sadly.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum