It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:33 am


Plasdwr - 6,000 Homes

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Frank

  • Posts: 302
  • Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:54 pm

Re: Plasdwr - 6,000 Homes

PostWed Aug 08, 2018 6:00 pm

Well well well.

I come home from work today and what do I find on the floor the the front door. A flyer inviting me to a public meeting with Neil McAvoy to discuss concerns people have about housing development on their communities. Monday 13th at Fairwater Social Club and Tuesday 14th at Chapter Arts. I'm sure a few people on here would be interested ;)
Offline

Mr Blue Sky

  • Posts: 351
  • Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:55 pm

Re: Plasdwr - 6,000 Homes

PostThu Aug 09, 2018 12:30 pm

Frank wrote:Well well well.

I come home from work today and what do I find on the floor the the front door. A flyer inviting me to a public meeting with Neil McAvoy to discuss concerns people have about housing development on their communities. Monday 13th at Fairwater Social Club and Tuesday 14th at Chapter Arts. I'm sure a few people on here would be interested ;)


I know for a fact that Neil McEvoy wanted the LDP and specifically Plasdwr to go through, despite his protestations, as he told me that it would win him votes in Fairwater for decades to come. He planned to use the LDP as a stick with which to beat the ruling Labour group on Cardiff council. Looks like his plan is being executed.
Offline
User avatar

Kyle

  • Posts: 782
  • Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:24 pm

Re: Plasdwr - 6,000 Homes

PostThu Aug 09, 2018 12:40 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Frank wrote:Well well well.

I come home from work today and what do I find on the floor the the front door. A flyer inviting me to a public meeting with Neil McAvoy to discuss concerns people have about housing development on their communities. Monday 13th at Fairwater Social Club and Tuesday 14th at Chapter Arts. I'm sure a few people on here would be interested ;)


I know for a fact that Neil McEvoy wanted the LDP and specifically Plasdwr to go through, despite his protestations, as he told me that it would win him votes in Fairwater for decades to come. He planned to use the LDP as a stick with which to beat the ruling Labour group on Cardiff council. Looks like his plan is being executed.


Clever politics!
Offline

Frank

  • Posts: 302
  • Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:54 pm

Re: Plasdwr - 6,000 Homes

PostSat Aug 11, 2018 8:01 pm

What about the case for small terraced houses? There have been plenty of sales recently in Splott just south of the railway line. Small 2 bedroom houses that are freehold. If more people are living alone wouldn't this be ideal rather than flats that are insecure leaseholds, unlikely to have outside space or gardens and with ground rent and sometimes ridiculous service charges attached to them.
Offline

Ash

  • Posts: 778
  • Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:28 pm

Re: Plasdwr - 6,000 Homes

PostSat Aug 11, 2018 9:02 pm

The problem I have with Plasdwr isn't so much with the expansion of the city in a north westerly direction but in the idea that the housing should be built before the desperately needed segregated public transport corridor is in place.

Sure, the old rail alignment from Fairwater up to Creigiau is being protected for future use as a tram line, bus corridor or what ever. There's no timescale though and rather than building schools, shops etc close to future stations or stops they're intended to be a fair distnace away.

For many reasons, I dislike Neil McEvoy as a person and disagree with many of his Nimbyist attitudes. I think he's on the money on this one though. Llantrisant Road and Cardiff Road are set to be a nightmare for a decade or more.
Offline

Frank

  • Posts: 302
  • Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:54 pm

Re: Plasdwr - 6,000 Homes

PostSat Aug 11, 2018 9:22 pm

Yep housing is not enough. We need infrastructure as well. I'm part of generation rent but I understand some of the nimby concerns.
Offline

Mr Blue Sky

  • Posts: 351
  • Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:55 pm

Re: Plasdwr - 6,000 Homes

PostSat Aug 11, 2018 11:17 pm

Ash wrote:The problem I have with Plasdwr isn't so much with the expansion of the city in a north westerly direction but in the idea that the housing should be built before the desperately needed segregated public transport corridor is in place.

Sure, the old rail alignment from Fairwater up to Creigiau is being protected for future use as a tram line, bus corridor or what ever. There's no timescale though and rather than building schools, shops etc close to future stations or stops they're intended to be a fair distnace away.

For many reasons, I dislike Neil McEvoy as a person and disagree with many of his Nimbyist attitudes. I think he's on the money on this one though. Llantrisant Road and Cardiff Road are set to be a nightmare for a decade or more.


The point is he wanted Plasdwr to happen so he could whip up support for himself and exploit the resentment. As a longtime member of Plaid in Cardiff West i was very disappointed in him when he told me, in confidence, that he wanted the LDP to be approved. And he was clueless about the potential effects of the LDP on traffic until it was pointed out to him by Plaid members who are now very disillusioned with him due to his behaviour.
Offline

afly

  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:18 pm

Re: Plasdwr - 6,000 Homes

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 3:21 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:The point is he wanted Plasdwr to happen so he could whip up support for himself and exploit the resentment. As a longtime member of Plaid in Cardiff West i was very disappointed in him when he told me, in confidence, that he wanted the LDP to be approved. And he was clueless about the potential effects of the LDP on traffic until it was pointed out to him by Plaid members who are now very disillusioned with him due to his behaviour.


Does it really matter though? He was alone in allowing residents to express dissatisfaction at a decision they know will be to their detriment. If he catches a little political capital in doing so then all the power to him. Perhaps his opponents could try and focus on making decisions that won't have residents turning their backs on them for decades.
Offline

Mr Blue Sky

  • Posts: 351
  • Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:55 pm

Re: Plasdwr - 6,000 Homes

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 3:40 pm

afly wrote:
Mr Blue Sky wrote:The point is he wanted Plasdwr to happen so he could whip up support for himself and exploit the resentment. As a longtime member of Plaid in Cardiff West i was very disappointed in him when he told me, in confidence, that he wanted the LDP to be approved. And he was clueless about the potential effects of the LDP on traffic until it was pointed out to him by Plaid members who are now very disillusioned with him due to his behaviour.


Does it really matter though? He was alone in allowing residents to express dissatisfaction at a decision they know will be to their detriment. If he catches a little political capital in doing so then all the power to him. Perhaps his opponents could try and focus on making decisions that won't have residents turning their backs on them for decades.


Having spent thousands of hours in McEvoy’s company I am entitled to my opinion. The LDP has passed - and was opposed by the Tories in the council - and now McEvoy is trumpeting his objections. He WANTED this to pass. He WANTED the extra traffic and strain on services so that he could continue being voted in by the gullible Fairwater electorate (and picking up his cushy remuneration for being the Plaid group leader - in addition to his salary as a “Sovereignist” AM).

He will not, and cannot, reverse the LDP. He wants chaos so that he can personally benefit from it. That is what he told me after a “Stop the LDP” meeting in Pentrebane in 2014.

I am a member of Plaid in Cardiff West and am dreading the faint possibility of him returning to the fold.

He is full of hot air but also quite dangerous, in my opinion. A narcissist and megalomaniac. Look at the twitter feed for his “grassroots” movement, Propel Wales. Nothing tweeted for nearly two months after a grand launch and a demand for up to £200 from new members. He is giving Welsh nationalism a bad name.
Previous

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MattW and 7 guests