It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:54 pm

Plasdwr - 6,000 Homes

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Karl

Re: Plasdwr - 6,000 Homes

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 9:58 am

moyceyyy wrote:
Karl wrote:Knee jerk reaction by me based on one photo but God that looks bleak.

Is this really what we want to live in or are we just at mercy of the volume house builders?

What did you have in mind? I think a slightly higher density could have done the area a bit of good - will take up less land and will allow for more provision of affordable housing. Hopefully, they have something up their sleeve.

In reality I expected exactly how it looks to be turning out (this is of course me basing my opinion on one photo) - but I hoped it might be slightly more contemporary and certainly denser.

The photo looks as though the view from the main road will be featherboard fencing with the backs of detached houses that appear from that angle to be randomly placed. It doesn't really give off that capital city vibe. Even developing a reasonable streetscape with a strong frontage (perhaps taller buildings) would be an improvement.

In terms of what the people want (as per DR O's comment) then I guess people moving to this development will want car parking and gardens back and front. I'm fine with that - its suburbia after all - but I don't think that necessarily precludes density or a more contemporary design. The issue is that the volume house builders all seem to produce variations upon a theme and there appears to be very little pressure on them to offer something different.

george

Re: Plasdwr - 6,000 Homes

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 11:49 am

I thought the idea was to have different styles/layouts for different areas of the overall development. Those closer to the "urban centres" will be higher density (and thus perhaps more contemporary?), with those on the fringes being lower density and more "traditional". The current developments are clearly of the latter. We won't see the higher density parts until later stages when they make a start on the area south of Llantrisant Road, adjacent to the proposed school, which I believe is where one of the employment/retail areas is to be located.

As it happens I personally prefer the more traditional look. When the big house builders try to go modern, they just end up with sticking large office style aluminium windows on a traditional brick house, which just looks daft.
Previous

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum