It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 5:53 pm

St. Edeyrn Housing Development

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

penarth bloke

Re: St. Edeyrn Housing Development

PostWed Aug 06, 2014 7:37 am

penarth bloke wrote:My initial reaction is this , its a silly development. Developing housing estates is not just about houses, its also about community and it seems lessons have not been learned from such developments all around the UK for the last 50 years. OK, there is a token school and a token community centre and token transport connections. But its just loads and loads of little brick boxes with no imagination and no thought about day to day living and the quality of that living.

I am all in favour, if reluctantly, of building new homes for Cardiff, but it just as important to think about the day to day living in such area's and that means not being so dependant on car travel, having a decent number of local shops, pubs and other facilities within walking distance, (staggering distance in the case of pubs), also one of the main complaints others have said about such developments in the past, is the sense of isolation felt by some.

This is the sort of development I would like to see in the Cardiff area.

http://www.tornagrain-newtown.co.uk/

Jantra

PostWed Aug 06, 2014 8:21 am

penarth bloke wrote:
penarth bloke wrote:My initial reaction is this , its a silly development. Developing housing estates is not just about houses, its also about community and it seems lessons have not been learned from such developments all around the UK for the last 50 years. OK, there is a token school and a token community centre and token transport connections. But its just loads and loads of little brick boxes with no imagination and no thought about day to day living and the quality of that living.

I am all in favour, if reluctantly, of building new homes for Cardiff, but it just as important to think about the day to day living in such area's and that means not being so dependant on car travel, having a decent number of local shops, pubs and other facilities within walking distance, (staggering distance in the case of pubs), also one of the main complaints others have said about such developments in the past, is the sense of isolation felt by some.

This is the sort of development I would like to see in the Cardiff area.

http://www.tornagrain-newtown.co.uk/

you would like to see a town of 5,000 homes built with primary and secondary centres within the vicinity of Cardiff? It will never work as nice as the scheme looks. This is ideal for the highlands where your nearest neighbour is in the next county, but South Wales is very heavily populated already

penarth bloke

PostWed Aug 06, 2014 6:48 pm

I'm not calling for an exact duplicate of the Inverness project, I'm just saying that there are aspects of the project that could be incorporated into local designs.

The Untouchable One

PostThu Aug 07, 2014 5:35 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
The Untouchable One wrote:Hit a nerve have I precious? Cardiff needs new houses, dry your tears and empathise how those in Canton felt when they built Fairwater for the greater good. At least those in the vicinity will have something better to look at than those in Canton do!

Cardiff needs new houses.....ok.
Do you, The Untouchable One, need new houses?
Do you have a personal stake in these being built?
Why are you so keen?

I have recently been able to purchase a property in Cardiff after ages of searching for one in our price range. There is simply not enough supply to meet demand of people wanting to make this lively, young city their home. So yes I needed a house and there are thousands in the same boat. Waterhall is needed desperately :!:
The artist formerly known as Commuter87

murfilicious

PostSat Aug 09, 2014 9:25 am

My wife and I have just sold our house in order to move to something bigger - but it is slim pickings out there!

Of course this may be largely down to my wife's ridiculous "wish list" ...
Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...

MrJamesBrown

PostSat Aug 09, 2014 10:25 am

murfilicious wrote:My wife and I have just sold our house in order to move to something bigger - but it is slim pickings out there!

I'd love to hear this wish list :')

Jantra

PostSat Aug 09, 2014 2:24 pm

MrJamesBrown wrote:
murfilicious wrote:My wife and I have just sold our house in order to move to something bigger - but it is slim pickings out there!

I'd love to hear this wish list :')

if it was anything like my wife, we'd run out of internet before we got to the end

murfilicious

PostMon Aug 11, 2014 8:04 am

The wishlist is basically:
4 bedrooms (at least 3 of which should be doubles)
A large kitchen
A separate dining room
A lounge
A second lounge
A study (although the 4th bedroom could be used)
A garage
A decent sized south (or west) facing garden
Ideally built before 1950, in an established area (not a 'new' community)

All for about £275,000 - £325,000... Unsurprisingly we've not really found anything yet!
Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...

Caerdydd

PostMon Sep 01, 2014 12:59 pm

Has anyone got any news on this, seems to have gone quiet. Can't find any up to date news online.

Kyle

PostMon Sep 01, 2014 8:45 pm

Caerdydd wrote:Has anyone got any news on this, seems to have gone quiet. Can't find any up to date news online.

Other than it being approved by planners the other day no, been wondering the same as you. I should be driving nearby on Wednesday, I might go and have a nose around.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum