It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:05 pm

St. Edeyrn Housing Development

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

murfilicious

Re: St. Edeyrn Housing Development

PostThu Jun 30, 2016 1:23 pm

Persimmon have erected signage on the main road passing this development, and are opening a sales office in the car park of SCS nearby - suffice to say this is definitely starting, it's official "launch day" (whatever that means) is July 1st according to Persimmon's own website.

Meanwhile confusion reigns regarding the roadworks associated to the development (on the A4232 Pentwyn Link Road). When I was driving to work on Monday I noticed a (rather large) sign stating that 26 weeks of roadworks were coming on July 4th (Monday), when I scoured the council website I found no mention of it and they didn't respond to my tweets requesting information. After getting no reply I nudged WalesOnline to do some digging, so they did and posted an article yesterday.
Flash forward to today and the roadworks signs have been removed, and the roadworks have been "cancelled" due to councillors anger over the short notice (one councillor has commented that the first he knew of the works was when he read the WalesOnline article). Now at lunch time the council have supposedly said the roadworks are being delayed a week (July 11).

Meanwhile, there is still no mention of the roadworks on the Council's website!

Pissup, brewery?
Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...

Jantra

PostThu Jun 30, 2016 2:21 pm

Frank wrote:
RandomComment wrote:I think its probably a mix of "giving people what they want" and risk-aversion (as opposed to lack of ambition) on the part of developers. Domestic architecture is generally more conservative than commercial. And I imagine its more conservative in South Wales than it would be in the London area.

If developers are 'giving people what they want' then there must be some funny ideas going around about what constitutes quality. I was in the process of selling a house a couple of years ago, one built about a century ago and the estate agent who came round with me made the point that it was a god house and a pity we don't build more like this nowadays! So we could do it 100 years ago but not any more.

you mean a church :mrgreen:

penarth bloke

PostThu Jun 30, 2016 4:31 pm

I believe I've mentioned in the past about how disappointed I was with this development. I believe someone accused me of being against such developments, not so! What I am against
is very average design and from what I've seen, this is very average and I'm against the ways this and other such developments connect with the wider area, public transport, for example. I'm being polite when I describe it as unimaginative and sterile and just a poor mark 2 version in Pont thingy. Yes houses are needed and this is a fairly good site for them, but the design is so very average.

Sam

PostThu Jun 30, 2016 5:09 pm

penarth bloke wrote:I believe I've mentioned in the past about how disappointed I was with this development. I believe someone accused me of being against such developments, not so! What I am against
is very average design and from what I've seen, this is very average and I'm against the ways this and other such developments connect with the wider area, public transport, for example. I'm being polite when I describe it as unimaginative and sterile and just a poor mark 2 version in Pont thingy. Yes houses are needed and this is a fairly good site for them, but the design is so very average.

Public transport? In eastern Cardiff!? No, no. More housing estates dependent on the motor vehicle, thank you.

RandomComment

PostThu Jun 30, 2016 6:09 pm

Just what do you want in this site with regards public transport? They have bus routes and cycle routes. The site was never going to have railway or tramways (a more valid, but I'm not sure fully valid criticism of Plas Dwr). I agree the design is bland and rather average. But its the least risky proposition for a property developer, given many house buyers, especially in the suburbs, are pretty conservative.
Previous

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum