It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:51 am

The Welsh Language a help or hindrance for Wales?

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Mathew5

Re: The Welsh Language a help or hindrance for Wales?

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 9:49 am

Da iawn ti Cadno!

Zach

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 11:58 am

Not surprisingly, the only Welsh speakers I have ever come across are the militant ones who want to damage critical national infrastructure, hence why I have a rather jaundiced view of them.
Like it or not when you mention the Welsh language in parts of Wales this is the sort image that comes to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDxgVhdV3v4

I wouldn't mind if they were helpful and stuck up the appropriate translations, but it doesn't seem to just be about translations, more about exclusion as other forums members have said.

Twitter world laughing stocks

#1 non mover..
@realdonaldtrump

#2 new entry from wales
@leannewood

(Barcelona reaction: Leanne Wood comments spark outrage)

Mathew5

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 3:43 pm

What does Leanne Wood's tweets have to do with the Welsh language?

The new Lidl in Llandaf (of all places) has bilingual signs and announcements. Why couldn't they have done the same in Porthmadog? It's about consistency.

Zach

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 3:49 pm

Mathew5 wrote:What does Leanne Wood's tweets have to do with the Welsh language?

You are quiet right, I forgot, the leader of the Welsh Nationalist Party of Wales can't speak Welsh :lol:

Mathew5

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 3:55 pm

And what point are you trying to make? Are you saying you have to be a Welsh speaker to be a Welsh nationalist? You're not very bright are you, babes?

Zach

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 3:57 pm

Matthew, you are so, so easy to wind up!
Lets just call it a day.

Mathew5

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 3:58 pm

Another argument lost, then Zach. How many does that make it now?

Bye hun xxx

Alvear24

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 5:24 pm

Gosh, some people do like to have the last word don't they........

Msmurf

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 5:48 pm

On the subject of Llandaf I am fully in favour of using a standardised Welsh spelling like this to avoid unneccesay translations....I remember all the arguments in the 60s about Llanelli vs Llanelly.... In a few years time everyone will be used to the spelling of Llandaf which will continue to be mispronounced by Cardiffians as Landaff. ..and most other Welsh (English and Welsh speakers) as Llandaff...and only a few purists correctly saying Llandaf.

We should drop all unnecessary alternatives such as Pencoed/Pen-coed even though they may be strictly correct...It just makes us look petty. But it does mean we should adopt more single Welsh spellings such as Caerffili.
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

Mr Blue Sky

PostSat Aug 19, 2017 10:26 am

Msmurf wrote:On the subject of Llandaf I am fully in favour of using a standardised Welsh spelling like this to avoid unneccesay translations....I remember all the arguments in the 60s about Llanelli vs Llanelly.... In a few years time everyone will be used to the spelling of Llandaf which will continue to be mispronounced by Cardiffians as Landaff. ..and most other Welsh (English and Welsh speakers) as Llandaff...and only a few purists correctly saying Llandaf.

We should drop all unnecessary alternatives such as Pencoed/Pen-coed even though they may be strictly correct...It just makes us look petty. But it does mean we should adopt more single Welsh spellings such as Caerffili.

I've sat in many a "Cardiff Plaid" meeting and been picked up on my pronunciation of Llandaff by non-Cardiffians. In Cardiff we say LANduf. The Welsh speakers pronounce it llanDAF. To be corrected on how to pronounce a part of my home city by people from outside the city is completely ridiculous. It epitomises the deep divide that exists between Welsh speakers and the rest of us.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum