It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:27 am

Weed problem

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Urbanfox

Weed problem

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 4:06 pm

I've noticed that Cardiff has a bit of a problem with weeds. The ones I'm talking about are weeds generally sticking out of the 2nd floor window area of prominent buildings in and around the centre and Bay. They may not be a problem in themselves but they do give rather a neglected, run down look to a building and surrounding area and it's not a problem I have noticed in other larger mainland European Cities (I've looked). Is this a problem which is ever recognized and addressed or do we just live with them, unsightly as they are?

Cardiff

Re: Weed problem

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 4:29 pm

They removed a load from Roath dock, they were sticking out everywhere. Its to do with individual maintenance unfortunately.

I did though think you were talking about another kind of weed which Cardiff often reeks of!

Zach

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 5:26 pm

I have noticed this as well and have talked to friend about what a dump it makes the place look.
Down by the canals near Atlantic Wharf looks like something out of 28 Days Later!

This is not just a Cardiff problem it seems to be the whole UK.
The problem stems (sorry pun) from the EU banning just about every chemical herbicide that was any good.
All that's left is systemic week killers like Glyphosphates etc.

I suspect other countries in the EU just ignore the ban and keep putting down the likes of sodium chlorate which kill everything. Or maybe they have teams of people cutting the weeds and buddleias by hand.

Jantra

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 6:21 pm

Enters thread
Notices subject matter
Leaves thread

Zach

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 6:26 pm

Enters thread
Notices subject matter
Leaves thread

Just because you thought it was about the other sort of "weed" no need to go off in a huff (or is that a puff of smoke)

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum