It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:34 am

South Wales Mainline Electrification

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Jantra

Re: South Wales Mainline Electrification

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 4:55 pm

moyceyyy wrote:While it is possible to mass build offices around Parkway, there is only one greenfield site around Harry Stoke, this is an extremely well protected area and oh my goodness, the NIMBYISM can literally be seen by looking at the people that live there!

Aviva HQ site is nearby that employs thousands, and by extension the MOD HQ at Filton Junction, so it wouldnt be that much of a shock to see more being built in that area.

Aviva are moving the business from Bristol
I'd rather be no one than someone with no one.

Briz-Tim

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 6:43 pm

To my knowledge they are closing some offices, but not the Bristol branch. It would be bigger news otherwise.

moyceyyy wrote:SE Wales edges it a little but you're right, if there were individual railway lines going all over bristol to places like Fishponds, or Hanham and maybe places in the South and as far as Weston Super-Mare then I think Bristols numbers would dwarf Cardiff's

Both have about 1.5 million people. I was factoring areas beyond the old Avon county boundaries. Somewhere like Methyr or Abergavenny are about the same distance as Weston, Wells or Chippenham are to Temple Meads, as the crow flies; or somewhere like Stroud, which you have to transfer to Gloucester or Swindon to get to Bristol. Frankly I'm surprised as many as 11 million people use Temple Meads, must be mostly to London and inter-regional travel.

It does show how lucky South Wales was in having the bulk of it's lines saved from closure, or being able to re-open new lines like in Blaneau Gwent, even if the current service needs improving. I imagine many of the valley towns would be far worse off economically, and road congestion would be far higher toward the M4 than at present.

moyceyyy

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 1:15 am

Briz-Tim wrote:
Both have about 1.5 million people. I was factoring areas beyond the old Avon county boundaries. Somewhere like Methyr or Abergavenny are about the same distance as Weston, Wells or Chippenham are to Temple Meads, as the crow flies; or somewhere like Stroud, which you have to transfer to Gloucester or Swindon to get to Bristol. Frankly I'm surprised as many as 11 million people use Temple Meads, must be mostly to London and inter-regional travel.

It does show how lucky South Wales was in having the bulk of it's lines saved from closure, or being able to re-open new lines like in Blaneau Gwent, even if the current service needs improving. I imagine many of the valley towns would be far worse off economically, and road congestion would be far higher toward the M4 than at present.

Yes that is true.

If the valley lines were closed during the Beeching Axe, good lord.. roads in and around Cardiff would be a nightmare
Previous

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum