It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:44 am

South Wales Mainline Electrification

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author
Jantra

Re: South Wales Mainline Electrification

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 10:33 am

moyceyyy wrote:You are correct in saying that South Wales has been given priority on electrification over Bristol. Although Parkway will have electric rail (as it is on the way to Wales), Temple Meads will NOT, as it isnt on the South Wales line. I do feel for Bristol as their main train station probably wont be electrified until the 2030's now.

i hadn't realised that the wurzels had yet experienced the benefits of electricity

:mrgreen:

Simon_SW17

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 12:36 pm

Peiriannydd wrote:There is also work (that's not being discussed) on the line between Bristol Temple Meads and Cardiff. They're working on some bridges and puting in a the same piles and steel frames (for the overhead lines) along this stretch that you're seeing up and down the main line from London.

I haven't been through Bath and Chippenham on the train for a while, so I don't know what's going on there at the moment.

The work between Temple Meads and Filton is to reinstate 4 tracks ahead of the Bristol Metro enhancements (much like the south east Wales one but even more delayed!). There won't be any electrification along here for a long time. The line between Parkway and Cardiff is being electrified and piling and masts are being done now ahead of completion next year.

The line via Bath has had track lowering works done but electrification has been mothballed along with Oxford for now.

NorthCityBoy

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 7:45 pm

I haven't travelled along the line for a few months so I've not seen what progress has been made. So when are we likely to see the first electric train leaving Cardiff Central?

Simon_SW17

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 8:14 pm

Going by current timelines it is likely to be early 2019 in passenger service, late 2018 for testing. The original date was December 2016 so 2 and a bit years late.

You'll see the trains sooner than that though as all of the Class 800 Inter-City Express Trains are being made bi-mode, with diesel engines, so the new trains are likely to begin service later this year, running on diesel where the electrification isn't completed.

Peiriannydd

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 11:13 pm

Simon_SW17 wrote:
Peiriannydd wrote:There is also work (that's not being discussed) on the line between Bristol Temple Meads and Cardiff. They're working on some bridges and puting in a the same piles and steel frames (for the overhead lines) along this stretch that you're seeing up and down the main line from London.

I haven't been through Bath and Chippenham on the train for a while, so I don't know what's going on there at the moment.

The work between Temple Meads and Filton is to reinstate 4 tracks ahead of the Bristol Metro enhancements (much like the south east Wales one but even more delayed!). There won't be any electrification along here for a long time. The line between Parkway and Cardiff is being electrified and piling and masts are being done now ahead of completion next year.

The line via Bath has had track lowering works done but electrification has been mothballed along with Oxford for now.

Well, that seems odd as they're putting up exactly the same kit as the main line electrification works.

moyceyyy

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 2:30 am

Peiriannydd wrote:
Well, that seems odd as they're putting up exactly the same kit as the main line electrification works.

Probably just futureproofing due to the (inevitable) need for electric trains in Bristol in the future.

Jantra

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 10:11 am

moyceyyy wrote:
Peiriannydd wrote:

Probably just futureproofing due to the (inevitable) need for electric trains in Bristol in the future.

It does seem odd that they have the funding to do the 150 miles to Cardiff but not the 10-15 miles bristol /bath spur

Simon_SW17

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 11:30 am

There are a couple of things which are preventing this from happening, the old train shed at Bristol Temple Meads is being converted back to platforms for the electric trains from the current car park arrangement, and this has been pushed back a few years. Secondly, and the crux of the matter, there's no more money. The whole project is already billions over budget hence why it's been cut back to Cardiff to London for now.

Peiriannydd

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 12:08 pm

Well, it's sounds like it's bad news for Bristol all round. Temple Meads is in urgent need of refurbishment as the place looks like it's falling apart. The original station (Brunel's buiding, including the old passenger shed where the electric trains are due to come in) is in a terrible state. I can't help but think that this lack of development from Network Rail is going to hinder the regeneration of the Temple Quay area.

The issue with the funding makes it even more bizarre that they're using resources to do the Temples Meads - Cardiff Main Line section at the expense of the Swindon to Temple Meads section.

moyceyyy

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 2:03 pm

Peiriannydd wrote:
The issue with the funding makes it even more bizarre that they're using resources to do the Temples Meads - Cardiff Main Line section at the expense of the Swindon to Temple Meads section.

Indeed. Its odd thats its not done 'in order'. Makes me think theyre only doing it because of the metro. That being said, SE Wales has a larger population than the Bristol area.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum