It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 am

Cardiff 15000 arena

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Simon_SW17

Re: Cardiff 15000 arena

PostThu Apr 09, 2020 7:13 pm

Cardiff Council have already purchased the Red Dragon Centre which is the biggest hurdle out of the way, it's their car park at County Hall and their planners so should be easy from now. Also don't think that Coronavirus will put off an operator from a long term project.

Here's hoping anyway!

Peiriannydd

PostThu Apr 09, 2020 11:24 pm

It’ll be interesting to see the progress on the Bristol project. There is considerable opposition and the site is rubbish, but best of luck to them.

Personally, I don’t see an arena in Bristol as being significant competition to Cardiff. There are plenty of acts out there who could pack two venues of 20,000 on successive weekends.

Besides, the location of Cardiff’s arena is way better than something stuck out in Filton!

Mr Blue Sky

PostTue Apr 14, 2020 7:16 pm

Peiriannydd wrote:It’ll be interesting to see the progress on the Bristol project. There is considerable opposition and the site is rubbish, but best of luck to them.

Personally, I don’t see an arena in Bristol as being significant competition to Cardiff. There are plenty of acts out there who could pack two venues of 20,000 on successive weekends.

Besides, the location of Cardiff’s arena is way better than something stuck out in Filton!

Sadly I think that the days of packing any venue, be it an arena, stadium, theatre, bar, nightclub, restaurant or cinema are gone forever. People are unlikely to want to be too close to other people from now on.

I see a future of open-air entertainment with patrons widely spaced.

Lewisbeecham

PostWed Apr 15, 2020 12:54 am

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Peiriannydd wrote:It’ll be interesting to see the progress on the Bristol project. There is considerable opposition and the site is rubbish, but best of luck to them.

Sadly I think that the days of packing any venue, be it an arena, stadium, theatre, bar, nightclub, restaurant or cinema are gone forever. People are unlikely to want to be too close to other people from now on.

Gone forever? :lol:

Mr Blue Sky

PostWed Apr 15, 2020 3:22 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:
Mr Blue Sky wrote:

Gone forever? :lol:

God only knows why you are laughing about this.

Thewasp

PostWed Apr 15, 2020 7:20 pm

I dont think things will be that bad at all and will probably return to 'normal' fairly soon. Some things in life will change but I don't believe pubs, bars and music venues will suffer.

oldishDevil

PostThu Apr 16, 2020 6:58 pm

I think it's highly unlikely that people will stay away from sports events, cinemas, concerts once the current pandemic eases off.

People will have to start being around each other again anyway when offices and factories are reopened, kids are back in school, etc.

People would have no good reason to stay away from others. The worst they'd catch in most cases would be the seasonal flu or a cold.
For every person who didn't want to attend an event at an arena or stadium there be a dozen others who would happily take their place.

Personally I'm looking forward to the shops and cafes opening again so I can browse the shops after work, and relax in a coffee shop, reading my magazines. If there's anything on at the cinema that I want to watch I wouldn't think twice about going

On the topic of the arena it's probably the case that any arena in Bristol would take business away from Cardiff, and vice versa. Artists are always likely to play London, Manchester and Birmingham, and then it's a fight between the other arenas to get the acts to come. There are already other arenas in Nottingham, Sheffield and Newcastle, and newer arenas in Liverpool, Leeds and Glasgow. A lot of major acts still play the Motorpoint Cardiff though, so let's hope that continues when the new arena opens in 2023 (fingers crossed).

Brian62

PostSat Apr 18, 2020 8:44 am

Will the council be able to afford to build the arena after this? They were already heavily in debt, now their costs have increased and income dropped. I thought it a bad idea to begin with but if they have to make cuts in existing services later in the year and then spend millions on an unnecessary arena it would not look good to those that need council services and those that pay for them.

If Bristol do find a few million down the back of the sofa and go ahead then there is even less sense in Cardiff going ahead. They are sufficiently close to draw from the same potential audiences.

I think a few years of concentrating on basic services like sweeping the streets is in order before they can think about arenas or new council offices.

Simon_SW17

PostSat Apr 18, 2020 2:25 pm

I disagree that it's a case of Bristol or Cardiff, Cardiff has a catchment area of 1.5m, I doubt there would be any issues getting 15,000 fans for a popular gig. I'm sure Bristol can strand on it's own two feet as well, albeit with fewer transport options.

There would only be a crossover if a band's tour was at one or the other, but any major UK tour could successfully fill both venues without any issue I'd imagine.

Peiriannydd

PostSun Apr 19, 2020 4:45 pm

Personally, I can’t wait to get back into the pub, the grandstands, the concert halls etc. The pandemic of 1918 didn’t kill off mass entertainment, so I seriously doubt this little problem will.

Back to the comparison of the two sites, it is interesting to compare the populations of the two cities as of 2017:

Bristol Population
City and County: 463,400
Urban: 724,000
Metro: 1,006,600
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol

Cardiff Population:
City: 364,248
Urban: 479,000
Metro: 1,097,000
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiff

The key stat to focus on is the metro population. Cardiff is slightly ahead and will probably continue to outpace Bristol as Cardiff is set to see more inward migration.

I’ve been saying this for years, it’s like most other things, people need to get over thinking about Cardiff as a town and start thinking about it as a city at the centre of a much wider metro area.

Would people from the Valleys prefer to get on a train and travel to Filton rather than going to a gig in Cardiff? I doubt it! Think about coming out of a gig at 10:30 or 11:00 at night. Anyone here tried to get from Filton to Bristol’s centre at that time of night? It can be tricky enough getting from Bristol Parkway to the centre, I know as I’ve tried on numerous occasions as I lived in Bristol for 4 years!

Okay, so you drive (assuming they build a big enough car park). Anyone driven on those roads around Filton? They’re a nightmare! Driving in Bristol is an awful experience at the best of times, what’s it going to be like on those roads if 15,000 people have the idea of driving home?

I can see this site being worse than London’s O2. I remember trying to get to a gig back in 2009 when the Jubilee Line was down for some reason, I had to take a series of buses that meandered through London. It’s so stupid, the O2 is not even linked up properly with the DLR, which serves a huge area of east London, including Canary Wharf and the Isle of Dogs. You can’t even walk across the river at that location, as the tunnels are for cars and trains only!

I think Cardiff’s arena will be a huge success if it is designed properly and more capacity is added to the rail link (trams or extra trains).
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum