It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:49 am

Cardiff 15000 arena

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Lewisbeecham

Re: Cardiff 15000 arena

PostMon Feb 05, 2018 11:33 pm

Philnpt wrote:It could just be a coinsidence but the timing of this news fits in nicely with the soon to be released news on the new arena.
I’m wondering if we could see an arena/rugby stadium as a joint venture with ccc/the blues
A stadium with a retractable roof like the original plans for the arms park only in a different location.

Part of me hopes this isn't the case.

We need a fully-versatile arena for events all year around. What would be ideal is a new stadium with a retractable roof down in the ISV. Would sit nicely next to the Ice Arena, International Pool etc...

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostTue Feb 06, 2018 12:17 am

I also wondered about both of these stories cropping up at the same time. News on a 15,000 arena and the Blues looking to locate away from the Arms Park in a stadium that is likely to be of similar size. So potentially we could either look forward to two new venues or 1 versatile one? Hopefully we'll know more when we get news on the 15,000 arena soon. I wonder what happens to Cardiff Arms Park then? This is the home of Cardiff RFC, which is quite a big home for a team that plays in front of understandably pretty small crowds (I think that's generally under 1,000). They could probably afford to lose the Northern stand allowing more room for development? All in all the best outcome was the one that looks like it's hit a brick wall! so just maybe the Blues statement that they are planning to leave may just allow the penny to drop and for agreements to be made.
Nothing ever seems to be straight forward in that neck of the woods eh!
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Cen

PostTue Feb 06, 2018 10:58 am

I’ve never been a follower of the Blues so I’m probably going to sound ignorant, but I never really understood why they were so vehemently against playing at the City Stadium. It’s not that far from town anyway, and there are many pubs in Canton. Now it looks like they may have to move even further afield, I wonder if they would take the offer of the City Stadium again.

Mr Blue Sky

PostTue Feb 06, 2018 12:00 pm

Cen wrote:I’ve never been a follower of the Blues so I’m probably going to sound ignorant, but I never really understood why they were so vehemently against playing at the City Stadium. It’s not that far from town anyway, and there are many pubs in Canton. Now it looks like they may have to move even further afield, I wonder if they would take the offer of the City Stadium again.

Neither set of fans seemed to like the twin branding. Also, the capacity of CCS was too big for the Blues 8 years ago so with an extra 5000 seats added since then the tumbleweed would be even more pronounced if the Blues moved back. I think that the ISV is a non-starter for the Blues unless the Metro adds a stop because traffic would potentially be queueing on the A4232, which would pose safety problems. Furthermore, there are no pubs in the vicinity other than the soulless Cedar Tree Farm and Oystercatcher, so the whole pre and post-match pint culture would be eradicated.

The best option is, of course, a redeveloped CAP. At the minute it is a pretty poor stadium in which one is likely to be both wet and cold. Better and more covered seating is needed, as well as modern concourses and the inevitable corporate hospitality. I might even consider going if they achieve this vision.

Ash

PostTue Feb 06, 2018 12:05 pm

"The management committee of Cardiff Athletic Club has a responsibility to its sections and members to ensure that the existing lease, and any new lease, provides a secure income stream for the promotion of sport in the capital.
"Unfortunately, there are significant arrears of rent outstanding from our tenant Cardiff Blues Limited and this has not assisted recent discussions.
It was however the decision of Cardiff Blues Limited to terminate the discussions."

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostTue Feb 06, 2018 12:16 pm

I like the idea of a stadium at the ISV but as stated the present dream location of being 5 minutes from a massive choice of drinking establishment would be just a fond memory - I'm sure that would have a pretty big effect on crowd numbers. The Blues should play at a redeveloped Cardiff Arms Park that's a no-brainer. So what on earth is stopping this happening? Just heard on the radio that the Blies are currently in rent arrears - now if you're trying to strike a deal for the long term future of the club mightn't it be an idea to sit down at the table with all monies due, up to date?
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap

Lewisbeecham

PostTue Feb 06, 2018 12:18 pm

Ash wrote:
"The management committee of Cardiff Athletic Club has a responsibility to its sections and members to ensure that the existing lease, and any new lease, provides a secure income stream for the promotion of sport in the capital.
"Unfortunately, there are significant arrears of rent outstanding from our tenant Cardiff Blues Limited and this has not assisted recent discussions.
It was however the decision of Cardiff Blues Limited to terminate the discussions."

Perhaps the secure income stream is in a form of a new 15,000 seat multi-purpose arena? They have said they hope to bring in Basketball games and such from a new arena.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostTue Feb 06, 2018 12:43 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:
Ash wrote:

Perhaps the secure income stream is in a form of a new 15,000 seat multi-purpose arena? They have said they hope to bring in Basketball games and such from a new arena.

Interesting possibilities! so the development of the area could still be on the cards with the new arena contained within, and the complication of needing to double up as a largish capacity rugby stadium no longer an issue? Perhaps the smaller requirement of Cardiff RFC could still be catered for at present location also?

What we really need is that news on the 15,000 arena that we await!!

Lewisbeecham

PostTue Feb 06, 2018 12:55 pm

paul cardiffwalesmap wrote:Interesting possibilities! so the development of the area could still be on the cards with the new arena contained within, and the complication of needing to double up as a largish capacity rugby stadium no longer an issue? Perhaps the smaller requirement of Cardiff RFC could still be catered for at present location also?

What we really need is that news on the 15,000 arena that we await!!

I tweeted Russel Goodway and he said he was writing a report on Sunday evening which should be in the public domain shortly. It's possible if these ventures are not connected that the executive being ordered to pursue the 'exiting opportunities' could delay any announcement. Who knows really. Either way I just hope we get this 15k arena by 2020 - 2021...

Bluegazza

PostTue Feb 06, 2018 4:48 pm

If I remember rightly the isv was one of the locations discussed for a joint Cardiff City/Blues stadium when City were looking to move from Ninian Park before they choose to move across the road.

I think this early plan shows what looks like a replacement for Leckwith Athletics stadium?
Attachments
40_big.jpg
40_big.jpg (76.88 KiB) Viewed 12092 times
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum