It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:04 pm

Cardiff 15000 arena

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Frank

Re: Cardiff 15000 arena

PostSat Nov 10, 2018 11:45 pm

Remember the green space that used to be where the Admiral building now is? I know I go on about this but it would be nice to have some open space in town. We have land that is not being developed upon. We hardly need to use every square foot.

On a different note I was rather shocked to see armed police outside the stadium today before the rugby. The reality of any major events now?

Kyle

PostSun Nov 11, 2018 6:23 am

Frank wrote:Remember the green space that used to be where the Admiral building now is? I know I go on about this but it would be nice to have some open space in town. We have land that is not being developed upon. We hardly need to use every square foot.

On a different note I was rather shocked to see armed police outside the stadium today before the rugby. The reality of any major events now?

You don't go on about it Frank, it's just something that you think is important. Nothing wrong with that.

The problem you have is if land is owned by a developer, why would the turn it over to green space and not make money? Of course, the council could always buy the land off people and do exactly what you suggest.

What might be an idea (ignoring land ownership) is to develop the Motorpoint into something and turn the current Rapport site into a nice public space.

It's happening elsewhere in town. The St David's House site is being knocked down and being turned into public space, so not every square foot of land is being developed on.

Cen

PostSun Nov 11, 2018 8:56 am

I was thinking the same regarding the possibility of an open public space, but the backdrop isn’t the best. The more tall buildings to hide Ty Pont Haearn the better!

Lewisbeecham

PostSun Nov 11, 2018 10:44 am

Kyle wrote:
Frank wrote:Remember the green space that used to be where the Admiral building now is? I know I go on about this but it would be nice to have some open space in town. We have land that is not being developed upon. We hardly need to use every square foot.

You don't go on about it Frank, it's just something that you think is important. Nothing wrong with that.

The problem you have is if land is owned by a developer, why would the turn it over to green space and not make money? Of course, the council could always buy the land off people and do exactly what you suggest.

What might be an idea (ignoring land ownership) is to develop the Motorpoint into something and turn the current Rapport site into a nice public space.

It's happening elsewhere in town. The St David's House site is being knocked down and being turned into public space, so not every square foot of land is being developed on.

That's the thing, Cardiff Council owns the freehold to the Motorpoint Arena. Unsure on the NCP and Rapport. The council are strapped for cash and are looking at selling assets to help cover the costs of running City Hall, New Theater, St. Davids Hall to name a few. I think everyone would like to see green space where possible but this plot in particular is prime for a decent set of similar towers.

Kyle

PostSun Nov 11, 2018 11:42 am

Lewisbeecham wrote:
Kyle wrote:

That's the thing, Cardiff Council owns the freehold to the Motorpoint Arena. Unsure on the NCP and Rapport. The council are strapped for cash and are looking at selling assets to help cover the costs of running City Hall, New Theater, St. Davids Hall to name a few. I think everyone would like to see green space where possible but this plot in particular is prime for a decent set of similar towers.

I didn't realise that, Rapport is privately owned though I think.

I don't see why some green/open space can't be part of a development of a couple of towers, just like a public square is going in front of HMRC and the remaining Central Square plot next to it. Just build the towers a bit slimmer and taller (I can dream ;) ), it would be good if a couple of private rental towers went there maybe, or a mixed use scheme including maybe a 5 star hotel. It's a great spot near the shopping centre and offices.

Ash

PostSun Nov 11, 2018 7:28 pm

Kyle wrote:Rapport is privately owned though I think.

I can confirm that. Rapports also own the surface car park opposite the Atrium. They've been sitting on land for decades, showing no signs of developing it themselves. I don't particularly blame them for doing that. As other sites are developed, the value of the remaing ones can only go up.

sebcity

PostSun Nov 11, 2018 11:28 pm

Personally I think the density around the motor point is nice. It could do with something taller going up around there. What I'd prefer to see would be the better use of the open space at Callaghan Square. It's a horrible ugly open space that feels completely uninspiring... So much more could be done with it to make that space more of a destination in Cardiff and help to extend the city centre southwards.

Ash

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 10:24 am

sebcity wrote:Personally I think the density around the motor point is nice. It could do with something taller going up around there. What I'd prefer to see would be the better use of the open space at Callaghan Square. It's a horrible ugly open space that feels completely uninspiring... So much more could be done with it to make that space more of a destination in Cardiff and help to extend the city centre southwards.

Actually, good point. Wasn't there a plan to alter the road layout in Callaghan Square so that all traffic was diverted to the southern side? I wonder why that's never happened.

Bishop84

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 4:08 pm

Ash wrote:

I can confirm that. Rapports also own the surface car park opposite the Atrium. They've been sitting on land for decades, showing no signs of developing it themselves. I don't particularly blame them for doing that. As other sites are developed, the value of the remaing ones can only go up.

Didn't they have plans to build 2 or 3 buildings similar to Ty Pont Hearn on that plot? I think it was something mentioned when they wanted to demolish the Vulcan pub on the front of the site.

Kyle

PostTue Nov 13, 2018 9:55 am

Bishop84 wrote:
Ash wrote:

Didn't they have plans to build 2 or 3 buildings similar to Ty Pont Hearn on that plot? I think it was something mentioned when they wanted to demolish the Vulcan pub on the front of the site.

On the Rapport site itself there's been a couple of things. Originally a mixed-use hotel and residential tower, then I think they've bid for at least one or two other schemes and lost out to other sites in the city....the Admiral offices across the road being one of them.

On the car park opposite Atrium I thought it was just apartment buildings?
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum