It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:31 am

Cardiff 15000 arena

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Msmurf

Re: Cardiff 15000 arena

PostTue Dec 01, 2020 7:13 am

Frank wrote:Now to play devil's advocate:

Ought this not to be fully financed by the private sector? Seems that CC is taking on a liability of sorts here.

I agree that this should be primarily a private sector investment, but it seems to me that CC have invested just enough to unlock the deal and ensure it proceeds - which they should easily recoup from business rates. In this case they will be able to sell on the Red Dragon Centre (or what remains of it) once the Arena is operational and should be able to make a significant profit from that.
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

LRcardiff

PostThu Dec 03, 2020 8:59 am

The BBC article says the Red Dragon Centre will be demolished....

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-55103036

Cen

PostThu Dec 03, 2020 9:30 am

That render looks very similar to the Ice Arena Wales renders... Let’s hope it turns out a bit better than that did!

Msmurf

PostFri Dec 11, 2020 7:35 pm

Some interesting details here...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-55280133

elgdav

PostFri Dec 11, 2020 7:47 pm

Msmurf

PostFri Dec 11, 2020 7:58 pm

I like the way they have extended the axis of Roald Dhal Plas and opening onto the new square. Also the integration of Metro. Very promising..

LRcardiff

PostFri Dec 11, 2020 11:51 pm

These were not the next Cardiff masterplans I was expecting to come! Very exciting indeed. Kind of expected the arena and a leisure/shopping complex (replacement for the council building and red dragon centre) to be self contained but good that they’re thinking about the bigger picture.

Makes me anticipate the Dumballs road and Capital Quarter masterplans even more. But in my mind there’s grey cloud of doubt over the brewery/Central quarter developments. I just can’t imagine any large scale developments kicking off for another couple of years, and instead getting kicked into the long grass. (.... hope not!)
Last edited by LRcardiff on Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ash

PostFri Dec 11, 2020 11:51 pm

Some of it may come to pass but count me as a cynic when it comes to parts of it.

For instance, who the hell would want to live on a houseboat in the Bute east dock, when there's no access to the sea and access from landside is apparently via the central link road?

Living on a boat that can't go anywhere and which you can only reach with a car sounds like a bollocks idea to me!

Before anyone says, there is implied pedestrian access with nice trees and everything but that would involve reducing the size of the dock, which would not only be costly in itself but would require very expensive private legislation. The value of the moorings wouldn't come close to meeting 1/10th of the cost.

If anyone doubts this, it's worth remembering that the Cardiff Bay Barrage Act holds the record as the bill that required the most parliamentary scruitiny ever - far exeeding anything Brexit has thrown up.Touch Cardiff's docks and waterways at your peril!

LRcardiff

PostSat Dec 12, 2020 12:45 am

Interestingly the pictures do involve building on the private residents parking of Amalfi House, Minori House and Forio House on the south end of Lloyd George Avenue.

Those home owners can’t be happy with that.

Msmurf

PostSat Dec 12, 2020 5:37 am

Ash wrote:Some of it may come to pass but count me as a cynic when it comes to parts of it.

For instance, who the hell would want to live on a houseboat in the Bute east dock, when there's no access to the sea and access from landside is apparently via the central link road?

Living on a boat that can't go anywhere and which you can only reach with a car sounds like a bollocks idea to me!

Before anyone says, there is implied pedestrian access with nice trees and everything but that would involve reducing the size of the dock, which would not only be costly in itself but would require very expensive private legislation. The value of the moorings wouldn't come close to meeting 1/10th of the cost.

If anyone doubts this, it's worth remembering that the Cardiff Bay Barrage Act holds the record as the bill that required the most parliamentary scruitiny ever - far exeeding anything Brexit has thrown up.Touch Cardiff's docks and waterways at your peril!

I think you are reading too much into the houseboats. They are a nice touch but not exactly central to the scheme....
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum