It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:12 am

Cardiff 15000 arena

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Kyle

Re: Cardiff 15000 arena

Rhodri

PostWed Nov 14, 2018 4:27 pm

This could be terrific. Is the Military Museum still going ahead? It may lead to a welcome pull from Mermaid Quay mainly in terms of awareness of the Bay being more than the waters edge (if that makes any sense)

Cen

PostWed Nov 14, 2018 7:53 pm

Rhodri wrote:This could be terrific. Is the Military Museum still going ahead? It may lead to a welcome pull from Mermaid Quay mainly in terms of awareness of the Bay being more than the waters edge (if that makes any sense)
It makes total sense! I know many people who have visited Cardiff a few times and have never even set foot in the bay. I’m not even sure everyone knows it’s on the coast! :lol:

Cardiff isn’t really advertised as a coastal city (probably due to the absence of a typical beach) but it really should be. There’s a lot going on in the bay. Certainly more public events than in the centre.

A lot of work needs to be done to close up the gap between the city centre and the bay. Currently they feel like two entirely separate places. The biggest mistake was turning Lloyd George Avenue into a residential street. It would have been perfect for a “strip” of bars, restaurants and clubs, joining to the two main parts of the city. The arena will go some way to solving the issue, but that tram line is vital.

Lewisbeecham

PostWed Nov 14, 2018 11:40 pm

It's vital that the tram line goes to Cardiff Central as well as Cardiff Queen Street. I'm not too sure what else can be done to even up the gap between the city and the bay, Lloyd George Avenue is probably the biggest waste of space in Cardiff right now.

DaiB

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 1:02 am

We all know there's not going to be any kind of tram line within the next 5 years, right?

Ash

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 8:52 pm

DaiB wrote:We all know there's not going to be any kind of tram line within the next 5 years, right?

Well, yes. It's slated for 2024. That's common knowledge.

If the Arena development follows on from the building, first of a multi-storey car park and then a replacement for the Red Dragon Centre, as planned, then 2024 would be a realistic target for the Arena as well. I can't see it opening much before then if the three phase approach is adopted.

Lyndon

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 9:03 pm

If the tram could hold 150 people per trip, that's 100 journeys to shift an arena full of 15,000 people.

I hope the council give some serious thought to the transport issues here.

Simon_SW17

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 10:44 pm

Lyndon wrote:If the tram could hold 150 people per trip, that's 100 journeys to shift an arena full of 15,000 people.

I hope the council give some serious thought to the transport issues here.

Transporting 15,000 people is a big issue for a line which will have 6 trains per hour, however;

The trains will have a capacity of 257 not 150 and many will be 6 car and carry 514 pax
A good percentage of the fans would presumably arrive by coach or car
Shuttle buses could add capacity
Not everyone would be travelling to/from the arena at the same time with many having dinner/drinks before or after

Ideally a new loop to Central would add an extra 6 trains as well although there's clearly no current plan for this.

Lewisbeecham

PostSat Nov 17, 2018 12:12 pm

DaiB wrote:We all know there's not going to be any kind of tram line within the next 5 years, right?

Yes. This arena project is clearly at least a 5 year project. The current arena took almost 4 years to be built and that's without the other phases this project has. It SHOULD all come together at around the same time if all goes well. If one thing is certain you cannot open this 15,000 seat arena with the current infrastructure in Cardiff Bay. That will be a massive chunk of the consultation.

Mr Blue Sky

PostSat Nov 17, 2018 1:56 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:

Yes. This arena project is clearly at least a 5 year project. The current arena took almost 4 years to be built and that's without the other phases this project has. It SHOULD all come together at around the same time if all goes well. If one thing is certain you cannot open this 15,000 seat arena with the current infrastructure in Cardiff Bay.That will be a massive chunk of the consultation.

I’m not sure I understand why you make the claim I’ve bolded. The Cardiff City Stadium was opened with no improvements to infrastructure and it has double the capacity of the proposed arena.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum