It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:43 am

Cardiff to be named UK's first music city

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

jones4891

Cardiff to be named UK's first music city

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 12:48 am

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/m ... t-14030048

Sounds promising and will hopefully spell the end of the numerous bar/club/venue closures Cardiff has seen over the past few years.

moyceyyy

Re: Cardiff to be named UK's first music city

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 5:38 am

Good to see that the council are finally seeing the benefits of having a healthy music scene in a city. It creates a culture and attracts people to live in the city.

One of the reasons why so many young people are drawn to Bristol is because it really is a fantastic music city - it's seen as 'cool'. The drum & bass and trip-hop scene there has put the city on the world stage. Stokes Croft and Gloucester Road, in particular, are huge cultural centres. Really big step forward for Cardiff if the council pulls it off correctly.

Kyle

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 5:34 pm

halfnhalf wrote:the council dont have enough money to look after the roads or pavements to care for the elderly but the money comes out of the woodwork to become a music city whatever the hell that is
yes bristol and the rest of the uk will be shivering in there boots with this hahaha

Cheerful soul aren't you?

There's more to life than just roads and looking after the elderly. What about the young, or the middle aged that earn taxes and want to go to watch some decent music, or those that want to perform music? A decent music scene might bring in more money, which in turn might just result in more cash in the pot to spend on roads and 'the elderly'.

jones4891

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 5:58 pm

Totally agree with Kyle. I hate this knee-jerk reaction (often seen in the dreaded comments section of WalesOnline) that immediately shouts down anything from the council that shows even a spark of civic ambition. A city like Cardiff should aspire to much more than simply fixing potholes and providing social care services. That's just existing in a state of ongoing maintenance. It's also the council's job to think big and drive the city forward. I work in international education and recently met a Japanese student who had chosen Cardiff as her destination to live and study English purely based on her love of the Manics. Similarly we saw an upturn in the numbers of Madrid-based Spanish students following their positive experiences of Cardiff during the CL final. All of this brings in economic activity and is linked to cultural/sporting promotion of the city internationally.

sebcity

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 1:20 am

As a young it’s dweller in Cardiff, I think this is fantastic news! Cardiff deserves a vibrant and exciting music scene, andI think thesis excellent work of the council to grand encourage and pursue this. While I’m not sure what being labelled a ‘music city’ actually entails, in the long run this can only be good for the city.

Lewisbeecham

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 1:33 am

Again, as a youngster who attends gigs on a regular basis, many being on Womanby street. Cardiff was on the verge of ruining it's music industry entirely. Whilst I'm also unsure what a music city actually means, it can't do any bad.

It's already been mentioned but Bristol is well known for its vibrant music scene, but it doesn't even have an arena. There's plenty of gig venues in Cardiff.

I'd go to the Womanby party tomorrow to celebrate but it's the damn office christmas party!

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum