It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:33 am

Central Workshops, Grangetown

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

The Untouchable One

Central Workshops, Grangetown

PostThu Jul 31, 2014 4:08 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-28440730

Historic tram and trolley bus sheds could become a new cultural centre for the Welsh capital.

The Grade II listed buildings in the Grangetown area of Cardiff were put on the market 18 months ago.

The council has confirmed its received offers for the Victorian buildings, and is looking for a "viable and sustainable solution" for the site.

More talk of the possibilities of the Workshops becoming a cultural venue. As a new resident of this area, I would love something in similar vein to Chapter catering Grangetown and Riverside 8-)
The artist formerly known as Commuter87

Ash

Re: Central Workshops, Grangetown

PostThu Jul 31, 2014 4:33 pm

The Untouchable One wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-28440730

Historic tram and trolley bus sheds could become a new cultural centre for the Welsh capital.

The Grade II listed buildings in the Grangetown area of Cardiff were put on the market 18 months ago.

The council has confirmed its received offers for the Victorian buildings, and is looking for a "viable and sustainable solution" for the site.

More talk of the possibilities of the Workshops becoming a cultural venue. As a new resident of this area, I would love something in similar vein to Chapter catering Grangetown and Riverside 8-)

I doubt if we'll see something the size of Chapter in terms of the public areas - but Chapter has a long waiting list for studios / workshops so a mixed use scheme with a gallery and community spaces should be viable. It's good to see this being approached sensitively rather than with an eye on top dollar.

SirBlah

PostThu Jul 31, 2014 5:51 pm

Wouldn't mind seeing it turned into a contemporary art gallery, like a mini Tate Modern.

The Untouchable One

PostThu Jul 31, 2014 7:37 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-22375773

BBC Wales Today video showing the inside of the Central Workshops for last years Diffusion festival. I guess expecting something of Chapter's status is hoping for too much but the depot is a large, grand space in a great location close to the city centre which would be a fit cultural centre for South Cardiff.
The artist formerly known as Commuter87

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum