It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:12 pm

Welsh signs and how the media luv when they go wrong!

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Zach

Welsh signs and how the media luv when they go wrong!

PostThu Jul 31, 2014 11:31 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-28582365

Maybe this is a bit of a troll, but here goes...

I can't help feel sorry for a language/society that manages to have signs printed and installed in shops only for some days later to have some eagle eyed Fluent* Welsh speaker to realise that they are complete B*ll*x.

I'm sure the majority walked past, glanced at the sign and thought, yes, they are doing their bit for the Welsh language!

How sad is a language that the majority really do not notice until it enters the media, then they get on their high horse and complain.

*Fluent does not mean they nod when Derek the Weather man says his token phrase.

I knew someone who translates Welsh for a living and and translated "please recycle your rubbish" as "please resuscitate you dead items" just for a laugh to see if anyone noticed. (no body did!)

Kyle

Re: Welsh signs and how the media luv when they go wrong!

PostFri Aug 01, 2014 12:04 pm

Zach wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-28582365

Maybe this is a bit of a troll, but here goes...

I can't help feel sorry for a language/society that manages to have signs printed and installed in shops only for some days later to have some eagle eyed Fluent* Welsh speaker to realise that they are complete B*ll*x.

I'm sure the majority walked past, glanced at the sign and thought, yes, they are doing their bit for the Welsh language!

How sad is a language that the majority really do not notice until it enters the media, then they get on their high horse and complain.

*Fluent does not mean they nod when Derek the Weather man says his token phrase.

I knew someone who translates Welsh for a living and and translated "please recycle your rubbish" as "please resuscitate you dead items" just for a laugh to see if anyone noticed. (no body did!)

I kind of feel for the supermarket on this one.

I live around 10 minutes drive from this particular supermarket. It's out of the way in a residential area and in fairness to them they've tried to make an effort, so the service they've used is pretty shit.

As a Welsh speaker I'm not particularly bothered they got this wrong either, it's an innocent mistake and people need to realise that. Companies order services that go wrong all the time and this is what it should be seen as.

I like the fact they have tried to put the signs up in the first place, that's the main thing here. They didn't have to bother but they've tried. People make mistakes and as long as they correct them then that's fine by me.

Besides, it's in a village where people barely speak English let alone Welsh :D

Ash

Re: Welsh signs and how the media luv when they go wrong!

PostFri Aug 01, 2014 3:14 pm

I would sort of agree were the story about a minor spelling mistake or something. The media only tend to pick up on these things when there's an amusing aspect to them - the roadsign is Swansea that showed an "out of office" reply for instance. In this case the words aren't close to being Welsh - so it's a harmless, fun story for the press in the dog days of August.

I hate to say it but the only person "getting on his high horse" here is the original poster.

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum