It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:17 am

Channel 4 HQ - another contender? (AHEM)

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Ash

Re: Channel 4 HQ - another contender? (AHEM)

PostTue Jul 24, 2018 8:52 pm

Okay, a quick take on the C4 decision.

One of the creative hubs is bound to be Glasgow. There's no way Scotland gets nothing and it would make no sense at all for the two hubs to be in Cardiff and Bristol given their geographic proximity.

Both Severnside cities have a lot going for them. Cardiff is the third largest TV production centre in the UK after London and Manchester while Bristol has a healthy industry too with a host of very creative small to medium size indys.

If Brum, which had long been the front runner, gets the so called 'Headquarters' then I think Brizzle looses out. Three centres in the southern half of England would look bad. If the HQ goes to Manchester or Leeds I think it's 50:50 between ourselves and our friends across the water.

Amoore

PostThu Jul 26, 2018 12:27 pm

I completely agree. Birmingham for HQ with creative hubs in Scotland and Wales seems the only logical outcome.

Bristol does have quite a bit going for it. Deal Or No Deal was produced there, and The Crystal Maze is also based there, along with smaller indies which are a very good fit for Channel 4.

Cardiff hasn't had much in the way of involvement with Channel 4, largely because until the advent of digital it wasn't officially available in Wales. That could work in our favour.

Frank

PostFri Jul 27, 2018 12:29 pm

Why on earth would Scotland/Wales be certain of regional hubs? It's only Channel 4 after all. I expect there will be pressure for something north of Brum though.
Previous

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum