It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:22 am

Qatar 5* Hotel

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

oldishDevil

Re: Qatar 5* Hotel

PostFri May 04, 2018 8:42 pm

It would be great to see some action finally on the Rapports site.
The city is still short of hotels, especially when the big events are on.

I wasn't aware that the Hilton had lost a star - don't know when it happened, but I found an article about the ownership changing hands in 2007, so it looks like it must have been sometime after that.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/cardiff-hilton-changes-hands-2230600

Lewisbeecham

PostFri May 04, 2018 9:31 pm

What is the rapports site?

Shminky Binky

PostFri May 04, 2018 9:44 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:What is the rapports site?

The crappy building next to Admiral and the Motorpoint

Lewisbeecham

PostFri May 04, 2018 10:30 pm

With the little man coffee shop? Surely that, alongside the NCP will go when the Motorpoint does?

Ash

PostSat May 05, 2018 8:28 am

Oh God, how many times have we argued about the Rapports building? Just for the record, some of us really like it.

Mr Blue Sky

PostSat May 05, 2018 10:47 am

Ash wrote:Oh God, how many times have we argued about the Rapports building? Just for the record, some of us really like it.

Maybe it could be turned into a “living museum” dedicated to Cardiff in the post-war period. Teddy Boys could welcome you in with a wave of a flick knife and visitors could wander the exhibition spaces, marvelling at string-vest-attired men settling down to a Vesta curry after a session of wife-beating. An 8mm film of the Queen inaugurating the Empire Games would be projected onto a wall badly affected by damp while guests quaffed ‘alf a dark, served by brooding Maltese waiters. And no Irish, dogs or blacks would be allowed in!

Alternatively the building could be knocked down.

Cen

PostSat May 05, 2018 11:28 am

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Ash wrote:Oh God, how many times have we argued about the Rapports building? Just for the record, some of us really like it.

Maybe it could be turned into a “living museum” dedicated to Cardiff in the post-war period. Teddy Boys could welcome you in with a wave of a flick knife and visitors could wander the exhibition spaces, marvelling at string-vest-attired men settling down to a Vesta curry after a session of wife-beating. An 8mm film of the Queen inaugurating the Empire Games would be projected onto a wall badly affected by damp while guests quaffed ‘alf a dark, served by brooding Maltese waiters. And no Irish, dogs or blacks would be allowed in!

Those are the only two realistic options I think.

Lyndon

PostSat May 05, 2018 11:32 am

Mr Blue Sky wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep, it's not actually ugly, but on the other hand it has literally nothing to recommend about it either. The offices inside are pretty cramped and claustrophobic too, from what I remember of my one visit to Acen years ago.

Just knock it down and build something decent.

Ash

PostSat May 05, 2018 11:57 am

The point is that it's bound to go eventually because it's too low-rise for the city centre. It's still an attractive example of post-war building to my eyes, though. It's pleasantly functional and has a lot going for it.

I suspect a lot of the dislike of it on here just goes to prove that the seventy year rule still holds. Just as people in the 1960's wrote off all things Victorian as 'monstrosities', so our generation is blind to the charms of mid twentieth century architecture. That will change in time but I suspect the Rapports building will be long gone by then.
Last edited by Ash on Sat May 05, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amp

PostSat May 05, 2018 12:51 pm

The rapports is a doomed building i'm afraid, its quite a large area if you include the car park and the site is crying out to be redeveloped considering the activity around there, also its does not make good use of the space there.

i like the idea of a posh hotel being there surrounded by a garden/park landscape. like what the admiral building site had, and of course once the motor-point is demolished this could become more viable.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum