It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:45 pm

Qatar 5* Hotel

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Simon_SW17

Re: Qatar 5* Hotel

PostThu May 03, 2018 9:05 am

The Hilton must have been downgraded at some point as it was definitely 5 * when it first opened. I stayed there a few years ago and the rooms didn't look like they'd been updated since the 90s so not surprised.

HalRobsonKanu

PostThu May 03, 2018 9:08 am

That's an interesting shout Paul. It would be great to see the post office building fully and respectfully refurbished and back in use. The location is excellent for a hotel too, sandwiched between Central Square and the Millennium stadium.

I do wonder though whether the building is large enough to accommodate the number of rooms and range of facilities that a large 5 star hotel might provide. Also, I suspect parking and access might be an issue - particularly with the regular event day road closures in the area.

I'd have thought that Central Quay, Callaghan Square and possibly the motorpoint site would all be in the running for this.

Simon__200

PostThu May 03, 2018 9:53 am

Simon_SW17 wrote:The Hilton must have been downgraded at some point as it was definitely 5 * when it first opened. I stayed there a few years ago and the rooms didn't look like they'd been updated since the 90s so not surprised.

I don't think it was ever anything other than a four star. People have been harping on about Wales's lack of five star hotels for years and they never mention The Hilton.

Lewisbeecham

PostThu May 03, 2018 10:17 am

I thought about the Post Office, but to cater for 150+ rooms and the spas, restaurant etc. Not enough room surely? Such a hotel would require a new build I think.

Does a 5* hotel require parking?

Kyle

PostThu May 03, 2018 11:14 am

Lewisbeecham wrote:I thought about the Post Office, but to cater for 150+ rooms and the spas, restaurant etc. Not enough room surely? Such a hotel would require a new build I think.

Does a 5* hotel require parking?

I can see someone like Signature Living taking it on though I wonder if they'll have the capacity to do it after they've finished on the Coal Exchange?

One thing's for sure, it's really sad to see it sat there unused. It's a beautiful building, and It'll stand out even more in future with the new public square and HMRC offices nearby.

Amoore

PostThu May 03, 2018 11:21 am

I was about to call the Post Office on Westgate Street before I got to Paul's message. The property is a lot larger than it seems and has an extension on the back (which I believe still has a connecting bridge to Stadium House).

If Qatar were to buy the whole site, there's definitely a way of accommodating a 5* hotel. However, they may prefer a more modern shiny tower.

Karl

PostThu May 03, 2018 12:06 pm

The majority of the old Post Office is used by the Cardiff Civil Justice Centre. The entrance is in the new build extenson on Park Street. I know of no plans for them to move in the near future.

The building that is completely empty is the portland stone building next door which has an inscription saying that Inland Revenue at the top.

Kyle

PostThu May 03, 2018 12:24 pm

Karl wrote:The majority of the old Post Office is used by the Cardiff Civil Justice Centre. The entrance is in the new build extenson on Park Street. I know of no plans for them to move in the near future.

The building that is completely empty is the portland stone building next door which has an inscription saying that Inland Revenue at the top.

I always get confused between the two, thanks Karl!

amp

PostFri May 04, 2018 11:03 am

I would like this 5 star hotel put where the rapports site is. i would like to see a bit of green around here also.

or it could go next to HMRC or John Street.

Shminky Binky

PostFri May 04, 2018 3:43 pm

amp wrote:I would like this 5 star hotel put where the rapports site is. i would like to see a bit of green around here also.

or it could go next to HMRC or John Street.

Rapports site is a great shout. We can only hope.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum