It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:56 am

Qatar 5* Hotel

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Lewisbeecham

Qatar 5* Hotel

PostWed May 02, 2018 5:14 pm

Qatar have announced that they intend on opening a 5* hotel themselves in Cardiff City centre.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/ ... ssion=true

Kyle

Re: Qatar 5* Hotel

PostWed May 02, 2018 5:17 pm

Umm....have I missed something...have the Hilton and St.David's lost their 5* ratings?

Why is Sion Barry saying Cardiff doesn't currenty have a 5* hotel?

Lewisbeecham

PostWed May 02, 2018 5:29 pm

The Hilton is classed as 4*, St.Davids is definitely a 5*. Ironically this press conference happened in St.Davids.

amp

PostWed May 02, 2018 5:30 pm

The Hilton is not a 5 star hotel, the one down the bay is, but i believe in the article, they meant no five star in the city centre.

Lewisbeecham

PostWed May 02, 2018 5:38 pm

I don't know where this would go. A hotel chain is already being lined up for Central Quay, I wouldn't expect a 5* to share a building on John Street. Not the right location to take the last Central Square unit?

Owen

PostWed May 02, 2018 6:24 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:I don't know where this would go. A hotel chain is already being lined up for Central Quay, I wouldn't expect a 5* to share a building on John Street. Not the right location to take the last Central Square unit?

The tower opposite the golden cross? Don’t know if economically viable, but would be 5* with killer views
I think Central Square would be a great location. Link in to the VIP hospitality at the stadium and it would front the new, hopefully decent, public square

Kyle

PostWed May 02, 2018 6:44 pm

Thanks both for clarifying, I've always thought the Hilton was 5* for some reason! My bad.

St.David's I was more sure about because I've used the hotel, but wondered if it had lost its status recently but I wasn't aware.

I think I was thrown by the journalist's own words more than the quote from Qatar Airlines 'Cardiff currently doesn’t have a five star hotel'.

Anyway, ignore my grumpy old man whine about the newspaper, decent news about them wanting to invest.

The site choice will be interesting to watch, with a few options around the city centre. Shame this didn't come along a few months ago, that original design for the Interchange had a beautiful looking building at the Wood Street part. Perfect for a 5* hotel.

My money is on Central Quay. I know there's a hotel planned already, but there can always be two. Perfect considering the number of food and drink outlets they are planning.

Lewisbeecham

PostWed May 02, 2018 6:49 pm

Isn't there a proposed tram going through Central Quay directly to the airport? I mean... It would make sense, right?

sweetfeet

PostWed May 02, 2018 8:24 pm

I’ve got a feeling St David’s became 4 star when it left the Rocco Forte group. So perhaps there aren’t any in the 5 star bracket as Hilton is definitely 4 star.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostWed May 02, 2018 11:30 pm

You saw it here first... ;)

No actually this is just my prediction / suggestion - we'll see.

Regarding 5 star hotels - I always thought the hilton was, but as previously stated here its 4 star. As for St Davids, this has always been 5 star and still states on the website that it is? But we certainly need a 5 star hotel in the city centre and the old post office pictured above, whilst very tight to the street has land to the side which could be the main entrance and accommodate vehicles. This is surely a great building and location for such an hotel - the only downside is the building on the other side of the road!! :shock:
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/
Next

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum