It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 am

Cardiff Bay Beach

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

HalRobsonKanu

Cardiff Bay Beach

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 9:52 am

Wales Online are reporting that the Council plan to move the Cardiff Bay "beach" attraction away from the Oval basin to Cargo Road / Lock Road - the site next to the barrage that was recently used for the Ocean Race.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/ ... k-14789614

I think this is good news as it will allow the beach to expand whilst freeing up the Roald Dahl Plas for other (dare I hope, classier?) events.

Cardiff

Re: Cardiff Bay Beach

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 11:24 am

Its moving because of the Eisteddfod, Im not so sure how easy it will be to walk kids so far away from a car park to the barrage, and the toilets are quite far away too and only small. I wold like to see it either in Porth Tiger, city lawns or Callaghan square.

Ash

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 11:29 am

It will be interesting to see how it does in an area with much lower footfall than the Oval Basin.They'll certainly need to publicise it a lot more. I guess they could attract some Eisteddfod goers though seeing as the eisteddfod youth events are being held in the old Doctor Who Experience pavilion.

Bishop84

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 5:46 pm

Good idea as it always seemed cramped within the basin. Maybe a little more difficult to get access that site with a few hundred extra metres to walk to get to it. Unless of course they are running shuttles through the docks to the site? I see that the Bay Road Train has been refurbished and will be running this summer as well.

Cwlcymro

PostTue Jun 19, 2018 10:07 am

Ash wrote:It will be interesting to see how it does in an area with much lower footfall than the Oval Basin.They'll certainly need to publicise it a lot more. I guess they could attract some Eisteddfod goers though seeing as the eisteddfod youth events are being held in the old Doctor Who Experience pavilion.

All true however I'm not sure whether the youth events at Dr Who will be of much relevance. Maes B (the youth events of the Eisteddfod) are nighttime evening gigs for drunk youths, not family events. The young people campsite will be in Pontcanna so there will be buses bringing them to Dr Who for the evening events.

There will also be a lot of nighttime music and drinking at the open air stage in Roahl Dahl Plass, but that is usually a mix of young people and adults of every age.

HalRobsonKanu

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 10:02 am

More details on the new site for the Beach Festival. This looks like a significantly expanded event. If it's a success in it's new location, then I can't see it returning to Roald Dahl Plass.

https://wales247.co.uk/cardiff-bay-beac ... is-summer/

Cardiff

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 10:04 am

They are already setting up, the wheel has been there for about a week now.

Cardiff

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 10:16 am

http://www.urbanstrategies.com/project/ ... ster-plan/

What do people think of this, i think the bay area is now approaching a new phase where further master planning is needed. I like most of the ideas in this.

Lewisbeecham

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 10:40 am

Where can you see the ideas?

Amoore

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 2:13 pm

Cardiff wrote:They are already setting up, the wheel has been there for about a week now.

The Big Wheel has been there since the Volvo Ocean Race as it formed part of that event.
Next

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum