It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:32 am

Bottle Works Wharf - Grangetown

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

jones4891

Re: Bottle Works Wharf - Grangetown

PostThu Jun 20, 2019 4:56 pm

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/loca ... t-16456224

Quite a disparity between the two figures!

DavidH71

PostThu Jun 20, 2019 10:23 pm

The council were clearly trying it on - they were asking for ~£18k per flat, a ludicrous figure that no developer could seriously contemplate paying. This is a good scheme which will complement the redevelopment of Brewery area and improve that part of Penarth Road (which is rather nondescript at the moment).

Mr Blue Sky

PostMon Jun 24, 2019 5:57 pm

This article https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/news ... s-16465690 by the Welsh journalist of the year, Will Hayward, is one of the worst I’ve ever read. The title photo is of Central Square but he doesn’t mention this development, only student tower blocks. Is he unaware that every major city in the U.K. has seen high-rise student blocks constructed recently, many of dubious quality?

He writes
You can hardly move in the southern end of the city centre without the word “Zenith” being unceremoniously shoved into your eyes.

This is just not true. In the city centre, the tower is only clearly visible from Callaghan Square and John Street.

And yes, developers of student blocks are avoiding certain obligations and stipulations but they are still increasing the housing supply with better-quality accommodation than older halls-of-residence or run-down terraces in Cathays.

He then lays into Bottle Works Wharf. Picking up on local residents objections that their homes and gardens will be in the shade he makes no mention of the fact that this is a brownfield site right on the edge of the city centre which, in terms of transport, is highly sustainable.

Utter garbage journalism.

LocalLurker

PostMon Jun 24, 2019 6:41 pm

WalesOnline is awful journalism shocker.

I live in Grangetown and don't have an issue with the size or look of the development. Not as if it will set a precedent either as there are no other sites in Saltmead, outside of the land behind the Tramshed, where a new development can be built on brownfield land AFAIK.

DavidH71

PostMon Jun 24, 2019 9:54 pm

Wales Online - the voice of soul-destroying negativity. It must have been a very slow news day, and they couldn't be bothered to wheel out another of those " the ten best Chinese restaurants according to TripAdvisor" space fillers.

Frank

PostWed Jun 26, 2019 8:32 am

Whether you agree with it or not I thought it was a decent piece that raised important questions. Should developers have to fund other things - is this normal in the rest of the world?

LocalLurker

PostWed Jun 26, 2019 10:27 am

Frank wrote:Whether you agree with it or not I thought it was a decent piece that raised important questions. Should developers have to fund other things - is this normal in the rest of the world?

Hello Will

"People in Cardiff are doomed to live in the shadows |
The Welsh capital is in the grip of a shadows epidemic"

The piece is sensationalist claptrap clickbait. The usual rubbish which is pumped out these days from WO sadly.

Frank

PostWed Jun 26, 2019 11:22 am

LocalLurker wrote:
Frank wrote:Whether you agree with it or not I thought it was a decent piece that raised important questions. Should developers have to fund other things - is this normal in the rest of the world?

Hello Will

"People in Cardiff are doomed to live in the shadows |
The Welsh capital is in the grip of a shadows epidemic"

The piece is sensationalist claptrap clickbait. The usual rubbish which is pumped out these days from WO sadly.

LOL. I've been posting on here for years and my name is not Will - who may have written the article but the heading would almost certainly have been done by someone else. That shouldn't detract from the whole article though.

Lewisbeecham

PostWed Nov 20, 2019 11:52 pm

Allegedly Rightacres have pulled out of this scheme and sold the land to a housing association. No word of whom. Site seems consistently flooded, wonder if that caused an issue?

jacobfox

PostFri May 26, 2023 2:28 am

Any update, I saw a post that was not super long ago about the plans being amended. Looked all over, it would be a shame for such a great location to be left to waste because of a few nimbys
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum