It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:20 pm

Capital Quarter - Plot 5

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

RandomComment

Capital Quarter - Plot 5

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 3:48 pm

It looks like a deal has been done on this. I think we were expecting this to be private residential but it seems to be one of these build-to-rent schemes, where people get a bunch of extras in the building - some communal space like lounges or bars, as well as more typical facilities like gyms.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/commercial-property/23-storey-private-residential-scheme-15235398

Shame if its only residents with access to the top floor. I can see logistically that making sense. But I don't think any sort of bar or restaurant run on a commercial basis could survive with just residential clientele. Unless its somehow subsidised via implicit service charges in the rental fees.

Lewisbeecham

Re: Capital Quarter - Plot 5

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 5:53 pm

Worth noting that the apartments above the Interchange are intended to be rental driven. Given that buy to let properties are shrinking by the month because of tax and stamp duty implications I'm not surprised, nor do I think it's a bad idea that schemes like this are coming forward. It's effectively a deluxe student accommodation building for professionals. What will be interesting is the actual cost per month, it will need to remain competitive.

I'm just glad that two decent residential (one rental and one private) has been revealed recently. We've definitely hit the peak of the student accommodation.

Cardiff

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 6:34 pm

Looks good, worrisome copper coloured cladding turning into something else!

Jonathan

PostFri Oct 05, 2018 1:16 am

I live in a rental building like this in Vancouver (Canada) - they're very popular here (especially given the housing crises here (i.e. sky high property prices).

From my experience these types of building are kept in good shape.

Kyle

PostFri Oct 05, 2018 6:20 am

It already has permission for a tower of this rough size, but private apartments. You'd think getting this through planning will be very easy for them as a result. It's a common game with JR Smart isn't it? Get planning permission and then sell the plot on. I'm not shocked they've done this at all, it's what they've done with every non-office plot on this project.

I's nice to see the final plot have some firmer plans now, they've done okay with the whole scheme haven't they? Nothing earth shattering, all pretty average builds individually but as a whole it's added something to the city and kind of extended the city centre a bit.

It maybe explains why they appear to have made a start on the John Street first phase, they have cash in the bank now after selling this. Up until yesterday I'd assumed they were starting because of Number 3 being finished and them having strong occupier interest or something.

I wonder if we'll see a re-work of the Hope Street Watkin Jones plot into something similar?

Cen

PostFri Oct 05, 2018 7:52 am

It looks really good from this side! Hopefully we get to see more detail soon.
Attachments
584B7179-41BD-4F37-8744-FF175E382535.jpeg
584B7179-41BD-4F37-8744-FF175E382535.jpeg (50.11 KiB) Viewed 12438 times

Lewisbeecham

PostFri Oct 05, 2018 8:22 am

Judging by that photo the tower is also greater than 23 stories. Another Wales Online blunder?

Kyle

PostFri Oct 05, 2018 8:27 am

RandomComment wrote:Shame if its only residents with access to the top floor. I can see logistically that making sense. But I don't think any sort of bar or restaurant run on a commercial basis could survive with just residential clientele. Unless its somehow subsidised via implicit service charges in the rental fees.

Wouldn't surprise me if that doesn't happen, precisely because of what you've said. They'd be limiting their market to residents of the tower, which seems a little daft. It would be a decent spot for a restaurant on the top floor, plenty of offices nearby that might go there lunchtimes or after work, and enough people living nearby that might use it in the evenings.

Kyle

PostFri Oct 05, 2018 8:31 am

Lewisbeecham wrote:Judging by that photo the tower is also greater than 23 stories. Another Wales Online blunder?

Maybe, or just the architect not wanting to make the tower look smaller than the student resi scheme next door in the images.

Or could it be that there's 23 floors of apartments rather than the tower itself being 23 floors high...and then by the time you add in the bar etc. at the top and ground floor units it's roughly the same height as the student tower?

We'll soon see, if they are planning to start in April planning permission should be available within a month or two I guess.

Lewisbeecham

PostFri Oct 05, 2018 10:59 am

Kyle wrote:
Lewisbeecham wrote:Judging by that photo the tower is also greater than 23 stories. Another Wales Online blunder?

Maybe, or just the architect not wanting to make the tower look smaller than the student resi scheme next door in the images.

Or could it be that there's 23 floors of apartments rather than the tower itself being 23 floors high...and then by the time you add in the bar etc. at the top and ground floor units it's roughly the same height as the student tower?

We'll soon see, if they are planning to start in April planning permission should be available within a month or two I guess.

I'm going to go with the second opinion. This area will be lacking some retail units, there's already over 1000 workers in Capital Quarter 1 and 2. Plenty of students. There's very limited choice for residents in the Atlantic Wharf area at the moment after the demolition of the Wharf pub. Add the resursrant etc and it very well could be the same size.

I would think that the top floor Restuarant wouldn't be exclusive, it doesn't make sense to do that. Cardiff is missing that rooftop bar and this would be a good fit. Perhaps residents would get 20% off food bills? I'm not sure.

I think this would be an excellent change of use for the Hope Street tower, with another rooftop Restuarant / bar up there.
Next

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum