It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 am

Dumball's Road

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Frank

Re: Dumball's Road

PostMon Apr 22, 2019 9:03 pm

If you look at the other side of the river down to the bay (Grangetown) it is excellent. I went for a walk down Dunballs Road today and it feels caught between two stools - rather like a few other areas around town.

Peiriannydd

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 8:17 pm

About two years ago, I was aware of these 6 schemes:

30ish Storeys – The Big Sleep (Bute Terrace)
30ish Storeys – Capitol Shopping Centre
25ish Storeys – MA Rapports Site
24 Storeys – Curran Road
22 Storeys – Dumballs Road
20 Storeys – Dolphin Quay

I heard of a few others being mentioned, but didn’t find out the details.

In addition, you had/have:
-Bus Station
-Capital Quarter Tower
-Brains site redevelopment

Lewisbeecham wrote:
Kyle wrote:https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/commercial-property/25m-apartment-rent-scheme-centre-16137331

We all know it's going ahead already obviously, but I found this statement interesting from Knight Frank

'Plans are being drawn up for a further six schemes likely to be partial or entirely build to rent, which if approved could deliver more than 3,000 new homes over the coming decade.'

This is on top of this scheme, number 5 Capital Quarter and the Interchange.

I wonder when we might hear about some of these six schemes and how many are also at Dumball Road or maybe Central Quay.

I think these could all be a mix between Central Quay and Dumballs Road. The council has visions for the old industrial area of Dumballs Road to be completely transformed with housing.

Perhaps the flats proposed alongside the river, including the tower on the BMW garage are to be build to rent?

Lewisbeecham

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 8:27 pm

Peiriannydd wrote:About two years ago, I was aware of these 6 schemes:

30ish Storeys – The Big Sleep (Bute Terrace)
30ish Storeys – Capitol Shopping Centre
25ish Storeys – MA Rapports Site
24 Storeys – Curran Road
22 Storeys – Dumballs Road
20 Storeys – Dolphin Quay

I heard of a few others being mentioned, but didn’t find out the details.

In addition, you had/have:
-Bus Station
-Capital Quarter Tower
-Brains site redevelopment

Lewisbeecham wrote:
Kyle wrote:https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/commercial-property/25m-apartment-rent-scheme-centre-16137331

We all know it's going ahead already obviously, but I found this statement interesting from Knight Frank

'Plans are being drawn up for a further six schemes likely to be partial or entirely build to rent, which if approved could deliver more than 3,000 new homes over the coming decade.'

This is on top of this scheme, number 5 Capital Quarter and the Interchange.

I wonder when we might hear about some of these six schemes and how many are also at Dumball Road or maybe Central Quay.

I think these could all be a mix between Central Quay and Dumballs Road. The council has visions for the old industrial area of Dumballs Road to be completely transformed with housing.

Perhaps the flats proposed alongside the river, including the tower on the BMW garage are to be build to rent?

What were the plans for the Big Sleep and MA Rapport site?

Are the plans for Dumballs Road and Curran Road not the same?

Peiriannydd

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 8:30 pm

Curran Road
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (54.56 KiB) Viewed 23098 times

Peiriannydd

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 8:33 pm

Plans for the Big Sleep and the MA Rapports sites were never made public.

The Rapports have looked at several schemes to redevelopment their site. I suspect it's only a matter of time until they partner with a developer and tack a scheme forward.

The problem two years ago (as it is now) was that the finances for PRS didn't stack up due to stagnating house prices in the Cardiff area.

Ash

PostWed Apr 24, 2019 8:02 am

The change in this part of the city is extraordinary.

The other day I came across an ariel shot of Dumballs Road taken in the 1940s. Almost nothing in this photo still exists. Gone are the Glamorganshire Canal, the Riverside branch railway, the terraced housing in Butetown and almost, but not quite all, of the industrial buildings. Only the brewery, the river and the path of Dumballs Road itself remain unchanged.

jones4891

PostWed May 15, 2019 4:12 pm

Building work to start in 2021 according to Wales Online:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/loca ... f-16268845

AWarmerBeer

PostMon Jan 04, 2021 12:06 pm

Article on Fusion Point One - don't think there's anything new in here.

https://www.business-live.co.uk/commerc ... f-19548412

Frank

PostSat Jan 16, 2021 4:20 pm

I would have thought that the area south of Penarth Road would have real value in terms of residential property given the closeness to the city centre. Surprised it hasn't taken off.

Bishop84

PostSun Jan 17, 2021 3:43 pm

Frank wrote:I would have thought that the area south of Penarth Road would have real value in terms of residential property given the closeness to the city centre. Surprised it hasn't taken off.

There has been a lot of interest in developing this area for residential. Several schemes, anyone remember Havannah Quay?, have been proposed over the years but have not made the step into reality. The current, 2019, development plans involve 2000+ homes: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/loca ... f-16268845
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum