It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:23 am

Metro

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Carlos

Re: Metro

PostWed Jun 20, 2018 12:26 pm

would rather the limited funds we have go on tried and tested technology rather than an experiment that costs, performance and timescales will spiral out of control on.

NorthCityBoy

PostFri Jun 22, 2018 4:37 pm

I was doing a bit of work in Newport earlier today and I noticed that the some of the overhead line posts used for the electrification of the mainline had also been erected on the line that goes up towards Cwmbran.

Msmurf

PostSat Jun 23, 2018 8:35 am

Should have gone to specsavers....
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

NorthCityBoy

PostSat Jun 23, 2018 9:09 am

Msmurf wrote:Should have gone to specsavers....

Sorry, was this a response to my post?

Ash

PostSat Jun 23, 2018 9:39 am

I think Msmurf was joking that they might have electrified a section of the line to Cwmbran by mistake!

In fact, I've noticed in quite a few places along the GWR mainline that they've electrified short sections of other lines around junctions.

I've no idea why they do this. Maybe its something to do with being able to move trains off the main line or to make future electrification easier. IIRC there was some talk about electifying the borderlands line as far as Abergavenny.

NorthCityBoy

PostSat Jun 23, 2018 10:02 am

Ash wrote:I think Msmurf was joking that they might have electrified a section of the line to Cwmbran by mistake!

In fact, I've noticed in quite a few places along the GWR mainline that they've electrified short sections of other lines around junctions.

I've no idea why they do this. Maybe its something to do with being able to move trains off the main line or to make future electrification easier. IIRC there was some talk about electifying the borderlands line as far as Abergavenny.

Ah right. Sorry smurf. Yes I did wonder if it were to allow trains to move off the mainline, but they are bi mode trains so presumably that would be unnnecssay, which made me think, are they making a start on other lines?

Msmurf

PostSat Jun 23, 2018 4:19 pm

North City Boy.... not questioning your eyesight - but that of Network Rail. The border line is not due for electrification so it must be to allow for line to be cleared

MrJamesBrown

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 12:23 am

NorthCityBoy wrote:
Ash wrote:I think Msmurf was joking that they might have electrified a section of the line to Cwmbran by mistake!

Ah right. Sorry smurf. Yes I did wonder if it were to allow trains to move off the mainline, but they are bi mode trains so presumably that would be unnnecssay, which made me think, are they making a start on other lines?

It's so if a train is incorrectly signalled down a line that is not electrified, the train can reverse without getting stranded.

Msmurf

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 12:33 am

But why is this neccesary for bi-mode trains...? It is no wonder that the cost overruns were so large!

Baysailor

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 9:39 am

The bi-mode switchover doesn’t instantaneously happen. The diesel engine is shut down and the electric motor started (or the other way around). As you wouldn’t want to stop and do this on the mainline, maybe it makes sense to electrify a stretch off it to allow the train to convert power source.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum