It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:44 pm

Metro

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Msmurf

Re: Metro

PostThu Nov 26, 2020 4:53 pm

Another report full of good ideas.....but how much will ever be built?

https://gov.wales/south-east-wales-tran ... mendations
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

Ash

PostFri Nov 27, 2020 9:18 pm

Msmurf wrote:Another report full of good ideas.....but how much will ever be built?

There many a slip twixt cup and lip but I'm reasonably optimistic about this one.

The key is that it requires the support of both the Welsh and the UK governments.

The support of the Welsh Government can be taken as a given, what ever the result of next year's election. It also has access to the circa 1.6 bn of borrowing powers that weren't drawn down following the rejection of the M4 relief road scheme. I would expect the Welsh Government to use some of that that money to deliver the bus and active travel elements of the scheme. However they won't be willing to chip in for rail infrastructure spending which (apart fro the CVL) is non-devolved.

So the rail part would fall on the UK DfT and Network Rail.

Given that Lord Burns is widely respected in Westminster and that the UKG is looking for schemes that both boost infrastructure investment post-covid and "strengthen the ties that bind the Union"it could be an attractive proposition.

It's a clever move to suggest that the new stopping trains would run between Cardiff and Bristol rather than, say Cardiff and Chepstow. It will ensure buy in by WoE politicial leaders and cross-border connectivity is a real buzz word for a Government that's sh***ting itself about the break up of the UK.

Msmurf

PostSat Nov 28, 2020 3:47 am

I am also cautiously optimistic about this - given that report was commissioned by WG.

But at the same time pessimistic because it relies on the glacial movements of Network Rail, who will need to conduct all sorts of business case analysis before scheduling this into a future 'control period' and at a time they wil be starved of cash by the likes of HS2 overruns.

On the other hand if WG can secure devolution of Rail Network this will unlock the process and should be a no-brainer.

jones4891

PostTue Jan 19, 2021 10:04 am

Behind the scenes work on the South Wales Metro:

https://nation.cymru/news/excavations-e ... les-metro/

Ash

PostTue Jan 19, 2021 7:05 pm

jones4891 wrote:Behind the scenes work on the South Wales Metro:

https://nation.cymru/news/excavations-e ... les-metro/

Nice colour piece and photos.
Really good to see some boots on the ground.

Msmurf

PostFri Feb 12, 2021 6:42 am

Msmurf

PostTue Feb 16, 2021 3:39 pm

https://flic.kr/ps/3Qg2US

I have been looking at proposals for Cardiff Crossrail and trying to work out what it will look like by overlaying proposals in various masterplans.

The Crossrail proposal says that it will connect Cardiff Central to Cardiff Bay and the only practical way to do this is by the line leaving Cardiff Central using the previous Riverside alignment - and then crossing Callaghan Square before joining up with the Cardiff Bay Line. There is a protected route in the Central Quay Masterplan with a proposed tram stop just to the south of the existing Cardiff Central South entrance.

There is also a protected route in the original Callaghan Square Masterplan to the south of the square and it doesnt take much guesswork to connect the two alignments. There is a new Callaghan Square Masterplan under development but it will almost certainly maintain the protected route.

After Callaghan Square the line would divide to the north and south with the Cardiff Circle line turning north and including a station at Herbert Street, with the Crossrail line turning south towards Loudon Sqare and Cardiff Bay.

Cardiff Council have also stated that they want to replace the existing Herbert Street bridge to widen the street below and enable realigning the road layout across Callaghan Square. I have assumed that the Herbert Street station would be situated immediatley to the north of the new bridge, but it could be incorporated onto the bridge itself.

A new bridge would also be needed over Bute Street, with the line rising up from street level.

This is pure speculation on my part, but the pieces all fit and I expect something very close to this to be built.
Last edited by Msmurf on Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thewasp

PostWed Feb 17, 2021 7:22 pm

I'm not up to date with Flickr. What is that a picture of?

Msmurf

PostFri Feb 19, 2021 8:16 am

Thewasp wrote:I'm not up to date with Flickr. What is that a picture of?

I never finished my post....will edit now!

dazplott

PostFri Feb 19, 2021 6:43 pm

Nice work. Just a quick thought though - some of those curves look pretty tight. I looked up the min curve radius for a Stadler CityLink tram-train and it’s 22m.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum