It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 am

Metro

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Cen

Re: Metro

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 8:08 am

Jonathan wrote:Hi folks, I've been living in Vancouver for just over a year and had the pleasure of using their Skytrain service:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkyTrain_(Vancouver)

When I visit home it makes me cringe to see and ride the trains Arriva use!

That reminds me of the fabled Cardiff Monorail! :roll:

Simon__200

PostFri Apr 14, 2017 5:01 am

Jonathan wrote:Hi folks, I've been living in Vancouver for just over a year and had the pleasure of using their Skytrain service:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkyTrain_(Vancouver)

When I visit home it makes me cringe to see and ride the trains Arriva use!

Isn't Vancouver an example of a city with a congestion issue that dwarfs any problems Cardiff has though? That Lionsgate bridge is a real choker. And being North America, the car is still pretty much king, compared to public transport. They recently had the olympics there, and decided to upgrade the entire stretch of Highway 99 ("sea to Skyway") to Whistler mountain, rather than develop the (already in place) railway link. Nice electric buses though, but that Skytrain thing reminds me of that Simpsons episode.

Lyndon

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 10:23 pm

Plans for three new stations in Cardiff are moving forward:

Twelve new railway stations could be opened in Wales if the plans are judged to be viable.

Economy Secretary Ken Skates has written to AMs saying the sites have been chosen from a list of 46 proposals for more detailed scrutiny.

They include new suburban stations in Cardiff, Newport, Swansea and Wrexham.

The Deeside industrial park, Llangefni on Anglesey, Bow Street near Aberystwyth and St Clears, Carmarthenshire, are also on the list.
Priority railway station proposals

Cardiff: Ely Mill/Victoria Park
Cardiff: Newport Road/Rover Way
Cardiff: St Mellons

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-39733717

Peiriannydd

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 10:34 pm

Could there be an election campaign going on or something?

In my view, the development of Welsh railways has been completely neglected by Network Rail for decades. Some of these proposals are long overdue.

Lyndon

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 11:05 pm

It is obviously ridiculous that there isn't a single train station in the whole of East Cardiff.

daearegwr

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 9:37 am

Lyndon wrote:Plans for three new stations in Cardiff are moving forward:

Twelve new railway stations could be opened in Wales if the plans are judged to be viable.

Economy Secretary Ken Skates has written to AMs saying the sites have been chosen from a list of 46 proposals for more detailed scrutiny.

They include new suburban stations in Cardiff, Newport, Swansea and Wrexham.

The Deeside industrial park, Llangefni on Anglesey, Bow Street near Aberystwyth and St Clears, Carmarthenshire, are also on the list.
Priority railway station proposals

Cardiff: Ely Mill/Victoria Park
Cardiff: Newport Road/Rover Way
Cardiff: St Mellons

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-39733717

Is there a map anywhere showing where these would go? Assuming the Cardiff Newport Road/Rover Way means a station near TGI Fridays and the other units on Newport Road?

murfilicious

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 10:16 am

No map, but I'd say it's fairly easy to work them out:

The St Mellons one is going to be by Hendre Lake) as this forms part of the wider St Mellons Parkway Business Park scheme, at a guess I'd say here, to make sure it's away from the freight terminal entry:

Rover Way Station I imagine will be just north of the Rover Way Bridge, this would keep it clear of the junction to the branch line down towards the steelworks (possibly giving a future option of a link down to the bay). So I would guess here:
Although the pessimist in me thinks they'll move it further south behind Mothercare and Dunelm, after the junction.

Ely Mill/Victoria Park is fairly straightforward, as part of this line is on a bend and a slight slope - I just hope there is some provision to maybe create an additional platform on the South Wales Mainline, to create some sort of interchange in the future.

I can but dream...
Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...

daearegwr

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 11:51 am

murfilicious wrote:No map, but I'd say it's fairly easy to work them out:

The St Mellons one is going to be by Hendre Lake) as this forms part of the wider St Mellons Parkway Business Park scheme, at a guess I'd say here, to make sure it's away from the freight terminal entry:

Rover Way Station I imagine will be just north of the Rover Way Bridge, this would keep it clear of the junction to the branch line down towards the steelworks (possibly giving a future option of a link down to the bay). So I would guess here: Although the pessimist in me thinks they'll move it further south behind Mothercare and Dunelm, after the junction.

Ely Mill/Victoria Park is fairly straightforward, as part of this line is on a bend and a slight slope - I just hope there is some provision to maybe create an additional platform on the South Wales Mainline, to create some sort of interchange in the future.

I can but dream...

Excellent detective skills! I like the idea of a possible link to the bay from Rover Way, saves going via Queen Street for those in this area. I'm still holding out from a possible tram across the city centre as part of the metro scheme (perhaps using existing bus lanes) so there is a quicker route east -west across Cardiff

Mathew5

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 12:02 pm

Looks promising and great work with the maps.

Shame Gabalfa didn't make the list. I take the train from Queen Street to Llandaf every day and often think the gap between Cathays and Llandaf is way too big and that Gabalfa/Mynachdy needs one.

solaris

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 12:15 pm

I suspect potential core valley line stations are being processed "separately".....
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum