It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:17 am

Metro

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Ash

Re: Metro

PostSat Mar 14, 2015 10:41 am

I think it will happen - but not for a long time. I suppose it depends on whether you regard GWML and VL electrification as part of the Metro plan. Certainly the Metro can't proceed without that happening so, in a sense, work on the Metro has already begun.

The key thing though is the creation of a delivery mechanism. That could be a PTA, City-Region board, a local authority consortium or a WG agency. The WG really need to make its mind up on that before plans can move forward - and seeing as they have yet to give final approval for NR to draw up stage 3 GRIP plans for VL electrification I'm not holding my breath.

Kyle

PostWed Mar 18, 2015 2:41 pm

It seems that a city deal is being worked on for Cardiff, at least according to what live updates I'm reading about the budget today. Funding for the metro maybe ?

Simon_SW17

PostThu May 07, 2015 4:09 pm

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/concerns-support-south-wales-metro-8995314

I've seen no planning applications or indeed any movement on Metro, this article is bang on the money. Disbanding SEWTA was a terrible idea.

Great quote from the WG at the end that says zilch.

" The Welsh Government rejected the complaints. A spokesman said: “We are in conversation with a number of local authorities about Phase 1 Metro projects, and project officials regularly meet with local authority transport officials. In addition, updates on the Metro are provided at meetings of the Cardiff City Region board, which has representatives from all the relevant local authorities.”

Kyle

PostTue Jun 30, 2015 7:29 am

Jantra

PostTue Jun 30, 2015 8:11 am

I had a feeling this announcement was going to be made today. Let's hope it comes off. Exciting times.

Zach

PostTue Jun 30, 2015 9:18 am

It is likely to be a mix of light rail, trams, improved trains and faster buses by 2020 in Cardiff and the valleys.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-33314634

murfilicious

PostTue Jun 30, 2015 10:50 am

£600m more to be spent on consultants fees, feasibility reports and impact assessments?

By 2020 we'll be able to make a papier mache train line out of all the sodding reports and paperwork amassed by the metro so far!
Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...

westy

PostTue Jun 30, 2015 10:03 pm

does south wales end at bridgend then ?

how do the welsh assemby get away with throwing such staggering amounts of money at south east wales while the rest of wales gets a few scraps?

a lot of AM's are going to lose their seats in may with this south east wales bias agenda :evil:

Lyndon

PostTue Jun 30, 2015 10:23 pm

how do the welsh assemby get away with throwing such staggering amounts of money at south east wales while the rest of wales gets a few scraps?

Ahem.

Technical advisors have been appointed to develop options for the £200m Welsh Government road improvements in North East Wales that will boost the economy by improving access to Deeside Enterprise Zone and north Wales.
Tuesday 30 June 2015

http://gov.wales/newsroom/businessandeconomy/2015/10321022/?lang=en

Clear off back to Facebook with your whingeing, laddie.

Kyle

PostWed Jul 01, 2015 7:49 am

westy wrote:does south wales end at bridgend then ?

a lot of AM's are going to lose their seats in may with this south east wales bias agenda :evil:

So what AMs do you think will lose their seats then?

You do realise that around half the population live in the south east? That the majority of Labour AMs are in the same place?

Plenty of money gets spent on other parts of Wales in lots of ways. Just look at Swansea alone where a high percentage of the employment there is in the public sector, which has received public money to entice private sector companies to settle there, where the main hospital takes patients from the south east as well and therefore has more jobs than that hospital normally would, which has been receiving money as part of the city region, money for SA1, money for the stupid road changes for the bendy bus that is already being binned.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum