It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:54 pm

Metro

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Simon__200

Re: Metro

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 9:21 am

There was a half-hearted integrated system of sorts only recently. Any Cardiff railway station ticket used to permit free travel on the bay car bendy buses. This forward thinking integrated system was unfortunately one of the first casualties of the austerity measures. Think they still operate the policy when they close Queen Street Station on match days though.

penarth bloke

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 9:42 am

I can go back further than that, in the early 70s Cardiff Bus had what it called a super multi ride and that allowed travel on local trains as well as buses. Integrated ticketing and timetabling is common in cities all around the world.

Msmurf

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 11:29 am

Integrated Ticketing is relatively straightforward -it just needs agreements - and no significant capital expenditure.

But looking at some of the bigger spending plans, I have been looking at the most recent ‘Potential Metro’ Map and in particular the possible tram lines proposed for Cardiff City Centre. It appears that there are three tram routes being considered:
1. Cardiff Central to Cardiff Bay - Presumably this would be street running from South of Central Station across Callaghan Square where it would join the existing Bay line at Herbert Street. This seems a no-brainer.

2. Cathays to Penarth – This would be street running across central Cardiff, passing to the east of Central Station and joining the existing Penarth Line at Grangetown. The route from Grangetown along Penarth Road is fairly obvious, but then there are a few options:
a. Follow Penarth Road under the main lines or continue onto Callaghan Square and then under the lines along St Mary Street. Penarth Road is probably a better location for serving Central Station
b. Follow St Mary Street through the centre – or instead follow Mill Lane – the Hayes – John Street. The Hayes route would be better for St David Centre but might be too narrow at its Northern end, so St Mary Street looks more likely
c. The route to Cathays Park would almost certainly follow Greyfriars but with two or three options to reach Cathays station – A route along Park Place with the tram terminus parallel to Cathays stations would work well, but alternatively the terminus could be a short walk from the station in Cathays Park, following Museum Place or King Georg V Avenue. However, installing overhead electrical wires in Cathays Park will not be very popular, so I think that Park Place is the more likely route. This line should be very popular and I hope it goes ahead asap

3. Cathays to Western Cardiff – This route is not so obvious – not least how the lines would leave the Western Cardiff lines at Ninian Park. Assuming the line follows Leckwith Road, there are then two possible routes – one following Tudor Street and onto Wood Street, which would then join the line along St Mary Street. The other route would follow Cowbridge Road and join up with the Cathays line near Cardiff Castle. While there is a clear need for new routes to Western Cardiff and Southern RCT, I cant see the point of these leaving the railway at Ninian Park, and it would make more sense to stay on the main lines until just west of Cardiff Central, and then swing off to the south and join up with the tramline along Penarth Road/St Mary Street. This would also provide a connection (or even direct service) to Cardiff Bay. I dont think the currently planned route would be cost-effective
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

Zach

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 5:56 pm

Cathays to Penarth – This would be street running across central Cardiff, passing to the east of Central Station and joining the existing Penarth Line at Grangetown. The route from Grangetown along Penarth Road is fairly obvious, but then there are a few options:

I am at a complete loss why you would want a tram to run to Penarth? There is a perfectly good train that runs every 15 mins.
Its one of the great advantages here! It takes 10 minutes to central and you can even catch a direct train to Cathays if you want.
Trams take forever, look at Prague/Dublin/Melbourne as examples, far too many stops.

Msmurf

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 7:07 pm

I agree with you that a tram going from Prague to Dublin to Melbourne would take forever....

Msmurf

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 7:11 pm

...but in all seriousness, I dont know why someone has decided to take a perfectly good train service and turn into into a tram service. For me Trams should complement trains not replace them. A good tram service through the centre of the city linking Central with Cathays looks a good idea .

I think this is about taking trains out of Central because it is full....

Zach

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 7:44 pm

Just had a laugh at the intergrated transport system here.

Friends from London wanted to visit Brecon and I was looking for routes. (they are not from the UK so the simpler the better)
TrawsCymru (WAG Funded) website says the through ticketing was available from Paddington all the way to Brecon using the T4 service!
Tried to find out where to book and had to gave up, it operated by Stagecoach but ticket from London not listed.

Phoned TrawsCymru hotline and they wouldn't believe me that this was even on their own website!
I was told in a very North Wales accent "we wouldn't have anything to do with England at TrawsCymru" :roll:

I knew some thing was up when the embedded youtube video showed the easy walk to Cardiff Bus Station from the Train :lol:

http://www.trawscymru.info/t4/

murfilicious

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 8:15 am

New branding starting to appear at Radyr Station:

I can't work out why, if the new branding is Grey, Orange & Red, why the new footbridges over Radyr and Llandaf (don't @ me!) stations have been painted in Arriva Trains Wales' green... Are they going to be repainted once the contract is up?
Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...

Cen

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 8:29 am

Can't say I'm a fan of the grey, orange and red theme. It's a bit of a depressing colour scheme to me.

Msmurf

PostSat Aug 26, 2017 8:31 am

Peiriannydd wrote:
Things are happening with the Metro, but I don't think we'll see a huge spike in activity until the rail franchise comes up for tender and the control of that process is in Wales. In the meantime, the Welsh Government is acquiring land that is needed and commissioning bits of design work. The discussion on Cardiff Parkway confirm that things are going on behind the scenes.

While we can see some crumbs of information that indicate something is happening...what hard facts are out there?

There is some tendering taking place linked to the Wales & Borders railway franchise....but what else? What land has WG aquired? What design contracts have been let?

Ps I have copied this into the Metro thread for anyone who has any information..
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum