It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:22 pm

Metro

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

solaris

Re: Metro

PostSat Aug 26, 2017 8:42 am

Integrated ticketing is actually really difficult - esp in a deregulated bus market (which is everywhere in UK apart from London)
Re Metro and W&B - loads going on behind the scenes. All good.

Kyle

PostSat Aug 26, 2017 10:44 am

solaris wrote:Integrated ticketing is actually really difficult - esp in a deregulated bus market (which is everywhere in UK apart from London)
Re Metro and W&B - loads going on behind the scenes. All good.

Difficult because of all the commercial issues no doubt? Is there ang reason why it can't just go live with maybe Cardiff Bus and the new Metro franchise owner first and then roll it out with other bus operators one by one as each is ready to come on board?

penarth bloke

PostSat Aug 26, 2017 1:06 pm

A slow roll out makes sense.

Msmurf

PostSat Aug 26, 2017 2:21 pm

I have just been reading the latest metro report from WG and there are a lot of 'coulds' and 'considering' type words in there and not that many 'wills'. But I will give them the benefit of the doubt for now....

I have been looking at the new lines proposed in Cardiff - and now looked at the spur off the Rhymney line going to Cardiff Gate. There is very little detail, but the map shows the spur leaving the main line between Heath and Llanishen. There is only one real option for this route which would take the line - presumably tram - off the main line squeezing between Solva Avenue and South Rise and then heading along the north side of the Llanishen reservoir. This would require compulsory purchase orders of a few gardens at the very least and possible as many as 5 or 6 houses. The line would then swing through open countryside (now prime development potential) towards Pontprennau and Cardiff Gate with a number of terminal options at Cardiff Gate.

Tram stops at Cardiff Gate, Pontprennau and Llanisshen Reservoir would be a huge benefit to housing developments in this area and would achieve a key aim of the metro to replace car journeys. I think the loss of 6 houses is a price worth paying.
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

Zach

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 6:01 pm

I saw the first new "Metro Bus" over the weekend and it was on St Marys Street :o

Zach

PostMon Oct 30, 2017 10:18 am

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxing/its-embarrassment-wales-queue-chaos-11430563

It does strike me as strange, that everytime Cardiff hosts a big event, some part of the transport infrastructure seems to be out of action. Surely the Assembly transport department could try and coordinate things, isn't this what the Metro is promised to be, a fully integrated transport solution to South East Wales. Each side blames the other and claims they didn't have sufficient notice, while Cardiff gets the blame.
To allow the main fight to take place at 10:30pm on a Saturday Night while knowing all public transport will cease does seem like the Council having its cake and being besieged by it. :D

Mr Blue Sky

PostMon Oct 30, 2017 12:02 pm

Zach wrote:http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxing/its-embarrassment-wales-queue-chaos-11430563

It does strike me as strange, that everytime Cardiff hosts a big event, some part of the transport infrastructure seems to be out of action. Surely the Assembly transport department could try and coordinate things, isn't this what the Metro is promised to be, a fully integrated transport solution to South East Wales. Each side blames the other and claims they didn't have sufficient notice, while Cardiff gets the blame.
To allow the main fight to take place at 10:30pm on a Saturday Night while knowing all public transport will cease does seem like the Council having its cake and being besieged by it. :D

“Besieged by Cake” - sounds like an “Artisan Patisserie”. With Grangetown becoming progressively hipster - or “Gogster” - I think there is a niche for this at the north end of Clare Road.

Simon__200

PostMon Oct 30, 2017 3:54 pm

Zach wrote:http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxing/its-embarrassment-wales-queue-chaos-11430563

Wow. A five hour wait for a taxi. That's nearly as long as it takes to get an ambulance following a 999 call in Cardiff nowadays.

Lewisbeecham

PostMon Oct 30, 2017 6:49 pm

News just in...

Arriva Trains Wales has officially pulled out their bid to run the next franchise and the South Wales Metro.

Zach

PostMon Oct 30, 2017 7:43 pm

This does not bode well, when the incumbent operator is not interested in continuing with the bidding.
I can see the WAG operating a Train Franchise/Metro as well as an Airport.

Remaining bidders are the well known ones! Abellio, KeolisAmey and MTR :cry:
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum