It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:57 am

Metro

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

LocalResident

Re: Metro

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 3:09 pm

Metro Central transport hub plans for Cardiff unveiled:
The Metro Central plans, at an early stage in their development, involve:
  • The modernisation of Cardiff Central train station
  • A new Metro station for a tram next to the main southern concourse of the railway station
  • A new coach station - south of the railway line
  • A cycle hub with room for 1,000 bikes and new cycle routes from both sides of the station
  • A new park-and-ride multi-storey car park in the existing station car park

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-42689172

Lewisbeecham

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 5:01 pm

I think this confirms to me that the new arena will be down the bay with a direct tram to facilitate the passengers.

HalRobsonKanu

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 5:37 pm

Is it just me or does the design have rather a strong resemblance to that of the proposed Museum of Military Medicine?

I'd be interested to know whether there are detailed designs at this stage or whether the image attached to the article is just designed to be indicative.

LocalLurker

Carlos

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 7:31 pm

Good news

Interesting they haven't shown proposals for the front - would be a shame to lose the glass frontage originally mooted for front.

Probably a scaled down/ affordable option but when you see kings cross, new street etc be nice to get something special as well.

Also makes a mockery of claims the new bus station was big enough for all requirements - as now they're building another one south of the station.

Cen

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 7:55 pm

Great image from the video here. Notice the trams and the previously teased office building.
Attachments
11569B9B-702A-41B8-BFD8-5F57F18A2ADE.jpeg
11569B9B-702A-41B8-BFD8-5F57F18A2ADE.jpeg (121.92 KiB) Viewed 7035 times

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 1:37 am

That render appears to show the Metro line going into the heart of central quay making me wonder about some ambitious loop down dumballs road area and then across to the bay! but on another nothing seems to be planned crossing penarth road. Still it certainly seems like there's plenty for us to look forward to!

now can we see the up to date plans for north side ie the bus station please! we are now early 2018 when work is supposed to be starting and we're not quite sure what they will be building yet.
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Ash

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 7:05 am

Re the north side of the station. Apparently they can start the work on the bus station before planning permission is given for the revised scheme as the groundworks and lower floors are covered by the existing consents.

Cardiff Ian

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 8:28 am

I’m a bit underwhelmed by the proposals for Central Station to be honest. As a daily user, I’m more interested in the functionality than the aesthetics and at first glance it appears that the only major benefit is the increased gate line width (albeit desperately needed) and better access to platforms 1 and 2. What is really needed is better access to all platforms - the narrow staircases are congested and need replacing in line with what has happened at Reading, New street, etc. Presumably six car trains will be added to the Valley Lines eventually and at this point there will have to be something done?

Maybe i’m just being negative and there is improved access to all platforms but the plans have not yet been released showing this! At a minimum, hopefully whatever is planned for platforms 1 and 2 can be extended in the future when more funds become available.

Cwlcymro

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 10:15 am

Abellio, one of the 3 remaining bidders for the Wales rail franchise (which obviously includes the Metro) had partnered with Carillion for the construction aspects of their bid. They'll have to move quickly to find another partner I'd assume, or their bid may well be in trouble.

Wales Online wrote:Carillion is the construction partner to Dutch transport giant Abellio in its bids build the next phase of the Metro in south Wales with electrification of the Valleys Lines and the running of the next Wales & Borders rail franchise from October.

Abellio's bid was submitted to the Welsh Government's transport body, Transport for Wales, along with those from MTR and KeolisAmey, before Christmas.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum