It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:23 am

Metro

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author
Jantra

Re: Metro

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 8:18 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Jantra wrote:I'm not disputing the pre eminence of the senior service, I'm disputing your claim that using Welsh coal gave the royal navy an invisibility shield, when it clearly did not.

BTW gunbloat diplomacy was about parking an armoured cruiser in the port of the local potentate you were looking to intimidate. It certainly wasn't about using the invisibility cloak given to you from use of Welsh coal - you wanted to be visible.

Less about invisibility than speed and accelearation. And compared to other coal fuels there is less smoke visible over the horizon. If you'd read the piece from the Morning Star you'd have realised how important Welsh steam coal was to the British state and its military and imperial ambitions. But then again why bother? I've beaten you, hands down, in every debate we've ever had. To misquote you "you are made of defeat".

:D :D :D

I'm not biting. You will have to do better than that.

Jantra

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 8:20 pm

Mathew5 wrote:I'm not getting irate about the existence of an 'f'. I couldn't care less. But railway stations have standardised names which Zach doesn't understand.

Would you be so forgiving if it was the English variant used?

Peiriannydd

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 10:21 pm

Zach wrote:I would submit my conjecture that copper had more to do with the early growth of the Royal Navy and subsequent rise in power of Great Britain on a world stage, rather than anything to do with coal.
Copperopolis, and our dear, dear friends in Swansea must take that credit. :evil:

I concur. For once I'm in agreement with Zach. Whilst Welsh coal was fundamental to the Royal Navy maintaining its dominance of the seas, that came well after the success of the Welsh-copper-bottomed wooden fleets. Not to mention the Welsh oak that was used in their production too.

Now, back to the topic at hand...

Jantra

PostSat Aug 19, 2017 9:50 am

What super power does copper give you?

Peiriannydd

PostSat Aug 19, 2017 10:15 am

Jantra wrote:What super power does copper give you?

Our copper-bottomed ships could move much faster and turn quicker because theere was less drag on the hulls, meaning our navy could out maneuver other ships in battle. It was a key element in winning at Trafalgar which left Britain as the world's superpower. Obviously there were many other elements, but copper was crucial to the start of the so-called "Second British Empire".

Jantra

PostSat Aug 19, 2017 11:36 am

Peiriannydd wrote:
Jantra wrote:What super power does copper give you?

Our copper-bottomed ships could move much faster and turn quicker because theere was less drag on the hulls, meaning our navy could out maneuver other ships in battle. It was a key element in winning at Trafalgar which left Britain as the world's superpower. Obviously there were many other elements, but copper was crucial to the start of the so-called "Second British Empire".

I was being flippant.

The loss of the first empire was down to ego. Gentleman Johnnie needed clinton, but the latter wanted the glory of taking the capital. Oh what could have been If we had the administration of Pitt in the seven years war. North was a disaster.

Zach

PostSat Aug 19, 2017 11:45 am

You can use any metal or wood and when smooth/clean manoeuvrability it fine, but the key advantage of copper was that nothing would grow on it, so no dry docking for cleaning which meant most of your fleet was available most of the time!

Msmurf

PostMon Aug 21, 2017 5:50 pm

I was wondering.....we already have the branding being quietly rolled out.. will we get to a stage where the Metro will be announced but with no real change? What I mean is that we already have the basis of the network in place albeit not yet electrified, and an initial metro could be delivered just by introducing an integrated ticketing system - which should include Cardiff Bus and Newport Bus networks.

Yes it might be Metro on the cheap but at least the politicians could stand up and say they have delivered an initial metro. This could then be progressively upgraded over the coming years - maybe we just need some momentum?
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

moyceyyy

PostMon Aug 21, 2017 10:50 pm

Msmurf wrote:I was wondering.....we already have the branding being quietly rolled out.. will we get to a stage where the Metro will be announced but with no real change? What I mean is that we already have the basis of the network in place albeit not yet electrified, and an initial metro could be delivered just by introducing an integrated ticketing system - which should include Cardiff Bus and Newport Bus networks.

Yes it might be Metro on the cheap but at least the politicians could stand up and say they have delivered an initial metro. This could then be progressively upgraded over the coming years - maybe we just need some momentum?

Im not sure how easy an integrated ticketing system would be, would national rail allow such a system to override their tickets on trains? Many people says it works in cities such as Warsaw, and while that is very true, things work quite differently over there.

Could be amazing if it works out though, and work spark a huge change in how ticketing works in public transport in the whole of the UK's cities.

sebcity

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 12:01 am

Integrated ticketing already works in the UK, it’s called transport for London.

I can board a national rail overground train ‘London Midland Train’ at a Home Counties train station (this one station is the exception to the rule however) and pay using Oyster card / contactless, and get around London on buses, trains and trams and be capped at a certain fare.

But I agree a system like this in Cardiff would be incredible!
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum