It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:55 am

Metro

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Lewisbeecham

Re: Metro

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 12:47 pm

It is. The image suggests the current Cardiff Bay station being scrapped and it being moved down the road. It looks fantastic, almost too good. You know what I mean!? Ha

Ash

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 1:55 pm

Another teaser image from WG. Not quite sure what this one implies but it's clearly an electric or hybrid train rather than a tram.

Cen

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 3:10 pm

Simon_SW17 wrote:If that's a GCI from Keolis/Amey then I'd imagine that's exactly what we're getting. V exciting!

Pleased to see that the rabbit has been dropped.
Oh yeah... What was the deal with the rabbit/hare? :lol: Maybe I just wasn’t aware of Wales’ rich lagomorphic history!

Cen

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 3:12 pm

Ash wrote:Another teaser image from WG. Not quite sure what this one implies but it's clearly an electric or hybrid train rather than a tram.
Indeed... But the first image shows a tram. Perhaps these are the replacements for the Arriva rolling stock on the non-tram lines? Can’t wait to hear some real plans!

I see they’ve also changed the colour scheme. Looks much better than grey and orange.

Lewisbeecham

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 6:13 am

KeolisAmey reveal new-look Wales trains and services - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-44316772

Here it is folks. There's 4 new Cardiff light rail stops planned which are Gabalfa, Crwys Road, Loudoun Square and Cardiff Bay. I assume this 1 tram line will go via Cardiff Central, map to be released shortly.

Cen

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 7:12 am

Presumably, there will be more than just 4 tram stops? Perhaps these are the bigger stations and there will be smaller stops in between? Maybe wishful thinking. :roll: It seems odd to miss out the whole of the city centre when Cardiff Bay and Loudon Square are so close.

Lewisbeecham

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 7:30 am

Cen wrote:Presumably, there will be more than just 4 tram stops? Perhaps these are the bigger stations and there will be smaller stops in between? Maybe wishful thinking. :roll:

Hard to tell. The article mentions to South Wales Metro to be launched later today, so I presume that will feature more detail. It can't just be those 4 stations!

Cwlcymro

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 8:34 am

Highlights:

All trains replaced (95% of journeys on new trains by 2023)
Half of new trains built in Wales
65 % increase in service capacity
'Smart ticketing' with 'flexible fares' (whatever that means)
Every station deep cleaned this year
Electric/Battery/Diesel hybrids for Rhymni and VoG lines (Caerphilly tunnel not electrified)
Tram-Trains on Merthyr and Coryton lines, switching to battery power once they hit Cardiff streets.
The weirdest bit is the talk of only four tram stations in Cardiff, but I assume they'll also make use of the current rail stations?
Possible new station in Nantgarw as well
Gray and red Transport for Wales branding, not Keolis branding

More details released later in the day.

DaiB

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 8:49 am

Assume the Gabalfa stop would be on the Merthyr line and the Crwys Rd stop on the Rhymney line?

The new trains are positive, and I don't want to second guess the full plans, but I hope this is Phase 1 of a continuous improvement plan. Otherwise what this amounts to is a couple of extra stops on the Valley Lines, new trains and moving the Bay station a few metres closer to the Millennium Centre....

murfilicious

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 9:21 am

By 2019
Refurbished trains bring extra capacity to the valley lines.
New services between Chester and Liverpool Lime Street.
Station deep clean and rebranding begins.

By 2020
Britain’s first hybrid-power trains radically improve passenger experience on North Wales and Borders lines.
Outdated Pacer trains are retired.

By 2021
Community Ambassadors are employed across the network to bring railway closer to communities.

By 2022
Pay-as-you-go ticketing is launched across Wales using barcodes and smartcards.
Free, seamless Wi-Fi is made available on stations and trains.
New trains introduced throughout the network, including Metro Vehicles on Aberdare and Merthyr lines.

By 2023
New trains improve standards on North Wales Coast, Cardiff to Manchester, Cambrian Line, Conwy Valley and Cheltenham services.
New Metro Vehicles on Treherbert, Aberdare and Merthyr lines providing 4 trains per hourand new station at Crwys Road opens.
New on-board Infotainment service launched

By 2024
The Cardiff Bay line is extended to the Flourish (Wales Millennium Centre) with a new station at Loudoun Square.
Sunday and evening services become more frequent across the network, with extra trains on Rhymney to Cardiff and Vale of Glamorgan lines.
Extra services begin on summer Sundays on the north Cambrian Line
Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum