It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:46 pm

Metro

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Zach

Re: Metro

PostThu Jan 05, 2017 6:34 pm

It would be nice if Carwyn Jones took direct control of making the South Wales Metro a reality rather than spending my money on a winter holiday in Norway.
Who the hell does he think he is? people of Wales voted out and as far as I know and foreign policy is not devolved anyway. (Thank God!!)
There are far more important devolved issues in Wales in complete meltdown, that he really couldn't give a toss about.
The man is a joke.

Kyle

PostThu Jan 05, 2017 8:34 pm

Zach wrote:It would be nice if Carwyn Jones took direct control of making the South Wales Metro a reality rather than spending my money on a winter holiday in Norway.
Who the hell does he think he is? people of Wales voted out and as far as I know and foreign policy is not devolved anyway. (Thank God!!)
There are far more important devolved issues in Wales in complete meltdown, that he really couldn't give a toss about.
The man is a joke.

Economic development is devolved so he wants to see how countries in Europe outside the EU interact with the EU on that front, the trip makes sense to me. Are there more important policies in Wales other than the economy then? I can't think of one.

And the metro is out to tender with rail organisations isn't it? Bidding processes take an age.

Peiriannydd

PostThu Jan 05, 2017 10:16 pm

Carwyn Jones is a joke, but then too many Welsh people will insist on voting Labour so we’re stuck with him.

I don't have a problem with him visiting Norway to see how their arrangements with the EU work in practice, but I do object to him shouting his mouth off about the EU when the majority of people in Wales who voted in the referendum actually voted to leave. Anyone remember that car-crash of a debate with Nigel Farage prior to the referendum? Still hasn't learnt his lesson and shows how detached labour are from the majority of the voters.

It’s about time our politicians remembered that they are there to represent the people, not to tell us how we should think. Wales and the UK voted to leave. Whether you agree with it or not, the country has to get on with it.

But on the note of overseas trips, why is James' trip worthwhile but Ken Skates was told to stay at home and not visit California? Given that Wales, Cardiff in particular, is trying to promote its creative industries credentials, surely a link with California is something that Wales should be pursuing?

Zach

PostFri Jan 06, 2017 12:35 am

Ken Skates was told to stay at home and not visit California?

Yes but he only wanted to get to Queen St. he got confused with Cardiff-by-the-sea California.

Welsh Labour; as thick as dim short plank.

Aside, from my snarky comments, wasn't all of the above once the remit of the WDA at a fraction of the cost of the Welsh Assembly Goverment?

redragon

PostFri Jan 06, 2017 8:48 am

Unlike central government, at least he seems to be acknowledging the fact that a large proportion also did not vote to leave the EU and isn't ignoring that, knowing the potential consequences for Wales.

If Ken Skates went last year, then I doubt he really needs to go again this year.

solaris

PostFri Jan 06, 2017 8:52 am

Without devolution in the first instance and Carwyn Jones recent commitment, there would be no south wales metro - to ensure there are no glitches promised devolution of rail franchising powers needs to be delivered. As noted procurement is in progress....

http://gov.wales/topics/transport/transport-for-wales/procurement/?lang=en

Simon__200

PostSat Jan 07, 2017 2:29 pm

Zach wrote:It would be nice if Carwyn Jones took direct control of making the South Wales Metro a reality rather than spending my money on a winter holiday in Norway.
The man is a joke.

He's a joke becauee he has the audacity to take a holiday in Norway? Just listen to yourself!

Simon__200

PostSat Jan 07, 2017 2:34 pm

Peiriannydd wrote:Carwyn Jones is a joke, but then too many Welsh people will insist on voting Labour so we’re stuck with him.

I don't have a problem with him visiting Norway to see how their arrangements with the EU work in practice, but I do object to him shouting his mouth off about the EU when the majority of people in Wales who voted in the referendum actually voted to leave. Anyone remember that car-crash of a debate with Nigel Farage prior to the referendum? Still hasn't learnt his lesson and shows how detached labour are from the majority of the voters.

It’s about time our politicians remembered that they are there to represent the people, not to tell us how we should think. Wales and the UK voted to leave. Whether you agree with it or not, the country has to get on with it.

But on the note of overseas trips, why is James' trip worthwhile but Ken Skates was told to stay at home and not visit California? Given that Wales, Cardiff in particular, is trying to promote its creative industries credentials, surely a link with California is something that Wales should be pursuing?

Politicians aren't there to pander to populism. It's why we don't have a referendum on every minutia of government policy. Imagine a referendum on the death penalty, for example. What we have is parliamentary democracy, and the trade off between what the people want, and what's best for the people is well-known by school-boy politics students, but not here apparently.

I actually quite like Carwyn, and I put it to you that it's in the interest of voters in Wales to stick with Labour rather than the alternatives.

Zach

PostSat Jan 07, 2017 4:02 pm

:?
He's a joke becauee he has the audacity to take a holiday in Norway? Just listen to yourself!

Do you keep a breast of the news? Or should I explain the background to my post?

Peiriannydd

PostSat Jan 07, 2017 9:53 pm

Simon__200 wrote:Politicians aren't there to pander to populism. It's why we don't have a referendum on every minutia of government policy. Imagine a referendum on the death penalty, for example. What we have is parliamentary democracy, and the trade off between what the people want, and what's best for the people is well-known by school-boy politics students, but not here apparently.

I actually quite like Carwyn, and I put it to you that it's in the interest of voters in Wales to stick with Labour rather than the alternatives.

You seem to be missing the fact that we had a referendum with the specific purpose of establishing the view of the majority of British voters. Whether you or I agree/disagree with the result, or the reasons why people voted for the way they did is completely irrelevant, the result is still the same. Now I expect our elected MPs and AMs, who are paid to represent their constituents (i.e. the people) in Parliament and the Senedd respectively, to act upon the express wish of the electorate.

That’s very different to pandering to populism as you put it.

Regarding your comment about Labour, why is it then, that after 80 odd years of Labour domination at the ballot box, Wales is still one of the poorest and most deprived areas in the UK, with a second-class devolution settlement?
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum