It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 am

Metro

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Kyle

Re: Metro

PostThu Jan 18, 2018 6:03 am

Ash wrote:
Frank wrote:What would light rail mean on the Rhymney line? I'm thinking something equivalent to a tram. They don't tend to be very quick do they? I thought trams only really worked in a city where the gap between stops is very small?

Another name for light rail is Train-Tram. They can run in both modes. The journey times should be about the same although there are likely to be more stops as these units have far shorter stopping distances.

They can only be run on on-street lines and dedicated rail corridors which have no heavy goods services. Presumably the Ebbw Vale and Maesteg services will remain as heavy rail due to the goods traffic on the South Wales Main Line.

The Rhymney line isn't very quick anyway, with quite few stops. It'll be interesting to see how they deal with the tunnel in between Caerphilly and Lisvane when preparing/changing the line in any way (assuming they have to at all).

Msmurf

PostThu Jan 18, 2018 8:27 am

Ash wrote:As I read it Cardiff/ Penarth services woud be on-street LR betwenn Grangetown and Cogan while Cardiff/ Barry / Bridgend would use the existing HR line.

Vale of Glamorgan services are definitely Diesel. No mention is made of Barry services but I assume these also remain as Diesel.

Penarth services are due to be replaced by LR - with on street running through Grangetown - but map appears to indicate a common alignment with Barry line between Cogan and Grangetown stations.....or is Penarth line fully relocated to Penarth Road from Cogan??

And I misread the earlier render showing trams in Central Quay -I thought these were for Dumballs Road, but they would be the Penarth line. All interesting!
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

Frank

PostThu Jan 18, 2018 6:44 pm

What's the value in moving the line from Grangetown to Penarth to road?

And what exactly is the benefit of the metro to the Valleys? More trains? From what I can see the only direct beneficiary of these plans is Cardiff.

Ash

PostThu Jan 18, 2018 7:34 pm

Frank wrote:What's the value in moving the line from Grangetown to Penarth to road?

And what exactly is the benefit of the metro to the Valleys? More trains? From what I can see the only direct beneficiary of these plans is Cardiff.

There would be multiple tram stops in Grangetown instead of a single station as at present.

As for the valley services, the Merthyr, Aberdare and Rhondda lines are all promised quarter hourly services at peak times. The number of trains on the Rhymney valley line would be be increased as well altough I'm guessing that some of them would terminate at Bargoed, as at present, while others would run along the new spur to Treharris.

Kyle

PostThu Jan 18, 2018 7:54 pm

Ash wrote:
Frank wrote:What's the value in moving the line from Grangetown to Penarth to road?

There would be multiple tram stops in Grangetown instead of a single station as at present.

As for the valley services, the Merthyr, Aberdare and Rhondda lines are all promised quarter hourly services at peak times. The number of trains on the Rhymney valley line would be be increased as well altough I'm guessing that some of them would terminate at Bargoed, as at present, while others would run along the new spur to Treharris.

Just having more carriages and newer trains alone will be of massive benefit to most people on the Rhymney line. My year and a bit of using that line daily to get to work in the city centre was pretty shit. I miss Cardiff but I don't miss getting the train in and out at all. I used to feel quite sorry for anyone getting on at Heath, where now and then people would be turned away because there was no space on the trains, even on the four carriage ones.

For anyone living at the top of the valleys, having more frequent trains also makes life easier for commutes to work.

Lewisbeecham

PostThu Jan 18, 2018 8:34 pm

Interesting developments, and very ambitious. I can't quite tell if the Bay tram will go down Bute Street or Lloyd George Avenue? Hopefully Lloyd George Avenue.

My only complaint is the lack of Cardiff Airport link. I'm well aware that the airport doesn't currently have the passenger numbers to justify a direct rail link but I think that would be far more beneficial than building the new suggested link road from the M4.

Msmurf

PostFri Jan 19, 2018 12:45 am

Frank wrote:And what exactly is the benefit of the metro to the Valleys? More trains? From what I can see the only direct beneficiary of these plans is Cardiff.

Increased frequency of trains, faster trains, more carriages, newer cleaner trains, additional stations,....

What have the Romans ever done for us?

Msmurf

PostFri Jan 19, 2018 12:55 am

Lewisbeecham wrote:Interesting developments, and very ambitious. I can't quite tell if the Bay tram will go down Bute Street or Lloyd George Avenue? Hopefully Lloyd George Avenue.

Looks like it is staying on existing line - with LG Ave staying as one the most boring and pointless roads in Cardiff.

But on the plus side there will be a short extension from existing terminus down to Pierhead, and with new stops at Loudon Square and Herbert Street.

I can not tell if Bay line will continue to Porth Teigr or whether that will only be the Dumballs Road line.

But at least the BBC workers will have a choice of travel between Central HQ and Porth Teigr studios....they can either take the Dumballs Road tram....or they can take a private taxpayer funded limousine...i wondervwgat they will do?

Lewisbeecham

PostFri Jan 19, 2018 10:01 am

Msmurf wrote:
Lewisbeecham wrote:Interesting developments, and very ambitious. I can't quite tell if the Bay tram will go down Bute Street or Lloyd George Avenue? Hopefully Lloyd George Avenue.

Looks like it is staying on existing line - with LG Ave staying as one the most boring and pointless roads in Cardiff.

But on the plus side there will be a short extension from existing terminus down to Pierhead, and with new stops at Loudon Square and Herbert Street.

I can not tell if Bay line will continue to Porth Teigr or whether that will only be the Dumballs Road line.

But at least the BBC workers will have a choice of travel between Central HQ and Porth Teigr studios....they can either take the Dumballs Road tram....or they can take a private taxpayer funded limousine...i wondervwgat they will do?

Don't be daft, they'll cycle to the Porth Teigr studios.

I can't agree more with Lloyd George Avenue, living literally nearby it's a massive waste. I'm also surprised it doesn't extend down to the sports village, surely that's more beneficial than extending the line briefly around the WMC and Senedd?

Msmurf

PostFri Jan 19, 2018 3:51 pm

The sports village is the wrong side of the Taff to connect to the Bay (without building an expensive bridge). But in any case there is a spur to ISV planned off the Penarth line.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum