It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:41 am

Metro

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Lyndon

Re: Metro

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 6:47 pm

There is only so much room on the road for cars, self-driving or not. Public transport isn't disappearing anytime soon, if ever.

Thewasp

PostFri Jan 17, 2020 9:46 am

I've not read the white paper but haven't heard anything about electrical charging points for cars or new housing developments. Is there any mention of this or anything for hydrogen vehicles?

Mr Blue Sky

PostFri Jan 17, 2020 11:57 am

For once Walesonline has published a decent article. Maybe Thomas Deacon reads CWM Forum?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wale ... s-17579603

Simon__200

PostFri Jan 17, 2020 2:17 pm

RandomComment wrote:I'd be pretty sure there will be bypass routes where the charge doesn't apply. That would be the A4232 and the M4, for example. I don't think that would significantly increase congestion on those roads though, as people wanting to bypass Cardiff itself will be using these roads anyway. For example, noone from Newport to Barry will drive though Cardiff, for example - they will go to J33 and use the A4232.

I've always taken the A48 docks route to Barry via Dinas Powys. On one occasion the satnav suggested the M4 would be 3 minutes faster, but it turned out to take quite a bit longer in practice.

Surely the council aren't planning on charging people who merely entering the city's boundaries?

Simon_SW17

PostFri Jan 17, 2020 2:36 pm

Before starting any congestion scheme there has to be good public transport in place, there's no way people from the Valleys can be expected to drop the car in order to be left on a wet, windy platform when the train they're going to catch is full to bursting!

I think once the proposed Park & Ride stations are up and running and the new TfW longer trains are in service then there's a viable alternative, until then it's a non starter.

I'm also not sure that just charging people outside Cardiff is fair, most of the congestion comes from within the City. It should be one charge for all to drive into the centre with plenty of alternative options in place.

Msmurf

PostSat Jan 18, 2020 7:26 am

I dont believe that the charge would apply to whole city as this would largely defeat the point. More likely is that the charging boundary would be along Western Avenue and Eastern Avenue to the North - the main railway line to the South - and say the new metro stations at Ely Mill/Victoria Park to the west and Newport Road/ Rover Way to the East.

The key to success will be having convenient Park & Ride stations outside of the city and a full viable public transport system within the central zone
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

Cwlcymro

PostSat Jan 18, 2020 11:49 pm

Thewasp wrote:I've not read the white paper but haven't heard anything about electrical charging points for cars or new housing developments. Is there any mention of this or anything for hydrogen vehicles?

Lots of new charging points are mentioned and the crossrail is specifically mentioned as serving the new developments in the West of the City through to the more deprived areas to the East.

Thewasp

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 10:48 am

Thank you. Glad to hear it!

Msmurf

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 9:17 pm

Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

Glenn

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 11:19 pm

Sort of off topic, but have there ever been plans to relocate the Canton rail depot? Always struck me of a pretty big parcel of land so close to town, could see it being redeveloped into housing. Would be sandwiched between the rail lines but Leckwith Avnue is too and they seem okay. I suppose it's position between the main line and the line towards the Vale makes it an ideal position. But I've always wondered...
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum